I had a eureka moment last night. How to get the false bottoms on the bins to slide in and out? I had envisioned two pieces of thin plywood or hardboard, sliding out through the sides, which allow all the collected Legos to fall out through the open bottom. I had devised a few different ways to achieve this goal, but all of them included little guide rails sandwiching the moving part. It was all very complicated and involved tiny pieces. Then it came to me: why not just cut the bottom o...
After a quick check on the wounded drawer to see how things were drying, I came to the conclusion that my repair work accomplished it’s goal. The drawer is nice and sturdy again after the glue. However, I’m a little concerned about the depth of the router cut. I may have to redo this one. I decided to shelve the drawers and move on with the other trickery needed to finish the top. I need to make the little bins on the wings that will collect Legos the kids scoop off the main play surfa...
Well, as I sit here icing my hand, I can sit back and say once more with authority that I need a table saw. Why, you ask?–other than the convenience factor? Because I could’ve used it to fix a costly mistake I discovered today… I started off making the open space in the front of the drawer to remove stock so the false front can fit and look nice. Pulled out the coping saw and my bird’s mouth jig and started cutting. The result (after some sanding) was a nice smooth curve. I used a paint c...
*Note, this post is image heavy. If you want to see all the pictures, click here see my woodworking blog.* I had a simple goal today—get the drawer fronts all cut out and shaped.Drawer Fronts I started on the drawer fronts today. First I made a template of the shape I wanted to cut out for a finger pull. I used 1/4” plywood I had laying around. Then I clamped the template to my 3 1/2” poplar planks and traced the same cutout pattern. Using my drill press, I punched out the wast...
Back in the shop and back on track after yesterday’s detour to make the shooting board. I put together the remaining 3 drawers and repainted the play area (the big blue thing). Here’s how it went down…The Drawers First up, I cut the side and front/back pieces from a length of poplar stock (1/4” x 3 1/2” x 36”), slapped ‘em on the shooting board and trued up every cut edge (and one factory edge that was off). It worked like a charm and within a few minutes, I had all the pieces for t...
So I took some time to think about how to get better results from my drawers (well…that sure sounded better in my head then on the screen) and came up with the idea to make a shooting board. If I start with pieces that are milled properly, perhaps my drawer will look better than the first one… I mulled this over today as I hit the freshly clear-coated legs and base with a piece of a brown paper bag. I discovered this trick on one of The Schwartz’s blogs from a few years ago when working wi...
Had a blast up at the Great Wolf Lodge this past weekend—as proof of our never-say-die, got to keep playing as long as we can attitude at the indoor water park hotel/resort, I offer a picture of my youngest the next day passed out in my recliner. This is as quiet as he as ever been outside of his crib in his entire life! The kids are, needless to say, pooped. I am too, but the clock is ticking—we’re well into November now and Christmas is looming on the horizon. I have plenty of time t...
This post contains a lot of images—I’ve posted some here, but for the rest, please visit my woodworking blog) Very productive nap time session today! First order of business was to take advantage of the 65 degree weather and paint the play surface for the top. We chose a primary blue to cover the MDF. The kids have plenty of the green Lego baseplate’s, so blue should compliment what they already have. The MDF took the paint in three thin coats that ate the entire can. Th...
This post is fairly image heavy—I’ll post a few here but to see all the images, please visit my woodworking blog) Accomplished a fair amount today. Before I got to work, I dusted off the base and the legs one final time and then primed the legs …and painted the base. It’s hard to tell, because I used white primer and white paint, but trust me, it looks nice in person. I put on two thin coats and used up almost a whole can of spray paint, but it sure does look ...
Today I cut up the main play area surface (MDF). I knew I wanted to prime the base, so figured I’d cut the MDF first and get the fine dust mostly out of the air before priming. I had to use the same layout methods (and again told myself I need a table saw) and spent precious time marking and clamping before making a few cuts, but in the end, got a perfectly cut plank of MDF that will fill almost all the space inside the upper box. On the left and right, I also cut out 4” wide “wings” that ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries