Finally wrapped this project up, after some setbacks. To correct the angled chop I had to see what was the problem: the hole drilled in the chop or the hole drilled for the coupler buried in the leg? First I tested the hole in the leg: Clearly, the threaded rod exiting the leg is off of perpendicular. Then, before I attacked the solution, I decided to check the chop: Huh. It’s off too! So, after some hand wringing, cussing, and a few beers, I took the case online ...
Good news bad news kind of day. Twice. The first thing that hit me today was that the bare spot I had filed into the threads on the leg vise “screw” (really a 5/8” threaded rod from the Borg) for the first chop won’t work on v2 because the chop is twice as thick. Soooo…half an hour of filing and I had this: Then I started making the garter. First I measured out a 2.5” square of 1/2” oak. Then took it to the drill press and punched ...
Well, after two sweaty hours out in the shop today in ridiculous humidity, I was able to wrap up the last of the carving and put on the final touches. Here it is with the basic shaping and sanding complete. Then I went back with two different sized nail sets and gently hammered in a scale patter on the dragon heads and necks: And finally used my carving chisels and chip carving knife to cut the year numbers. Now it’s time to put a coat of clear shellac on the car...
Here’s the latest update. I scrapped the flames as too difficult for my skills/tools. Got all the dragons roughed in…now I can work on refining shapes and background consistency.
There’s not much that words can express that pictures can’t outdo…I got to carve another 2 hours and it’s coming along nicely! And here it is next to the old one…
So I had some more time today in the shop and continued to work on the leg vise chop. There’s not much to tell, the picture show the progress. It was slow, sweaty work, but this is the result of about 2 hours. Had to hone the chisels but other than that, everything is progressing as planned. Finsihed the final shaping of the banner (just needs smoothing and sanding) and started in on the dragons! Woohoo! Really liking how the curled banner looks 3D! Thanks to Mary May and...
Got to spend some more time in the shop after I put the kids to bed. I continued shaping the chop and here is the result….one nicely beveled chop, using chisels and the Nice Ash block plane. A deadly combination—-that poplar never stood a chance. By the time I had all the bevels done (30minutes!) I realized I had time to go for flattening the sides, and I ended up with this: I am very happy with the results. Got a little workout in and finished the chop’s s...
Finally got a chance to sweat in the shop….I mean work in the shop today. Wisconsin may not be as hot as Texas (ever) but we sure get some humid days and being inside the garage, even with a box fan going full blast is good recipe for weight loss! Today’s first order of business was to start crafting a carving mallet so I could do the details on the leg chop. I don’t have one and quite frankly, I just think they’re cool. But…I’m going to take a non-tr...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1598 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1623 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries