Sometimes things break. This is one of those cases. There was probably a defect in the wood that was undetectable when I built the chair and when the wrong set of forces were applied to the chair, one of the two legs broke after the joint. To fix the chair, I built a sled that would ride on the table saw and support the chair standing up and would allow me to use a spacer block, after the first cut to create a new mortise for the bridal joint. Here is the chair in the sled. Noti...
got 1.5 hours to work in the shop tonight to enjoy the last of our 45+ temps. I think I’ll be bringing the rest of the bench in to assemble in the basement but we’ll see how this goes. So I worked on getting the leg with the vise in it put together. I had it screwed together but it wasn’t squared. Frustrated, I took all the screws out and started from square one and layer one. Since part F starts the one side, I shimmed the other pieces up level and start putting the first ...
In the wood shop today #26: Pulling off a bent lamination from the form, for a metal and walnut table base
Hi everyone, Have not posted here in a little while, been keeping busy in the wood shop! I’ve finally put together another video for my your tube channel. I’ve been working on a dining table base made with steel and some bent laminated Walnut. Have a look here as I pull the newly formed leg piece off of the mold and show you exactly how the table base will look once completed. Thanks hope you like it.Paul
Case Legs Watch this video to view the leg construction and track my progress on the face frame. I like legs that are cut in two planes on a tall case like Dr. White’s chest. This gives the legs a more fully formed look. I used a wider lower rail with a mortise and tenon joint at the base of the face frame rather than a narrow piece with a dovetail joint. Our vacuum floor attachment will still reach under the face of the case to suck up dust balls! The sides of the original Dr. Whit...
I finally got some shop time this weekend and had a chance to complete my leg vise. After my last building session, I had left it basically functional, but lacking a couple bells and whistles to make it really nice. The first addition was a guide wheel on the underside of the parallel guide. I bought another plastic wheel from Woodcraft and mounted it below the guide. It looks like it could become an ankle biter, but I haven’t run into any problems yet. It’s only pock...
Turned out that the jig I used to cut the mortise faces on the leg solved a more general problem, which allowed me to use the same jig for several other tasks.
The first task I decided to tackle is the cabinet legs. If I cannot get the legs right, all bets are off. They look deceivingly simple in the design picture, but having the cabinet float above the legs, as well as my attempt to make the legs from 8/4 stock complicates things a bit. Nothing that a jig cannot solve, right?
I was able to squeeze another good day in the shop around work. I ran off to buy some more oak, then got home and planed enough of it down to glue up the stretchers/aprons for the table ends. While the laminations were cooking, I decided to give the BeadLock Pro a whirl. Having made integral tenons with chiseled mortises, and loose tenons with the router, I have to say this method is considerably easier and faster. First, I was able to cut off the parts to their finished length, without...
It’s been months since I’ve been able to do any woodworking. I guess being busy in this economy is a good thing. I finally got a couple of days in the shop to address in-progress projects. The biggest was my mental block on the 4-sided quartersawn legs for the dining table. In a previous entry, I discussed how I botched the lock miter joint. It took me a while to get up the nerve to get back to work on them because if I biffed it again, they’d be too thin and I’d ...
I took everyone’s advice and went out into the shop this morning to fix the lock-miter. I ran a couple of test pieces of poplar through, both moving the fence forward and back (I kept the height the same to reduce variables). Ironically, although the two pieces of poplar fit together poorly, each one fit the previously routed oak very nice. Since I couldn’t figure out how to make that work, I just glued the legs up as is. I know, I know… Anyway, after sufficient time ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1524 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1549 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries