I found a Craftsman Midi Lathe (#21752) for an unbeatable deal, and combined with coupons and SYWR points, it was just over $100 (list price $450). But for that price it came with a few problems. I first found it listed on Sears Outlet, and then when I went to the mall store locations, I had to do some asking to get. Upon inspection I discovered that the belt cover was cracked, not much, but just a little. and everything else looked great. The manager suggested that I purchased the protection...
After a few episodes of near-drowning in a heap of sandpaper scraps, I decided enough was enough. I found a small plastic trash bin, placed two nails in the upper edge of the back of the stand, and had a ready-made, integrated waste solution. Pretty simple, but works. Nails in place before hanging the can (far right of picture): Back of the stand with can in place: Close-up: From the front:
The Lathe Here is the lathe. I bought it on Craigslist and got what I feel was a good deal. I went to Nashville and picked it up on Saturday. My plans are to replace the AC motor with a DC motor and make the lathe variable speed electronically. Empty Head This lathe has no drive pulleys. The Reeves drive broke and all the parts were trashed. So the headstock is empty except for the spindle and the indexing pin. Motor The AC motor is good so I will put it on eBay and...
As I’ve posted earlier – I bought a new mini lathe a few weeks ago. I’m going to attempt a complete chess set. I posted a video showing how I made a pawn a couple of weeks ago. I completed all 16 pawns. Now I’ve completed the Rook. The link to my YouTube video is here: http://youtu.be/QbpCcqfV40w Comments and especially suggestions from other turners are indeed welcome! I’m learning a lot and having a lot of fun! James
This summer I made a stand for a lathe that my father found at a garage sale and donated to me out of the goodness of his heart. I posted the project, which I made using a couple of 2×4’s and some scrap plywood. I painted it black for contrast with the turnings and completed it with casters to make it mobile. After using the lathe for awhile, I began noticing some recurring themes about the stand that I wanted to improve upon. First, I was having to travel to my grinder for shar...
As the year comes to a close I realized a lot of stuff has changed in my shop and the work I have been doing in the past 3 years since I posted my ””52 Weeks Blog””:http://lumberjocks.com/clieb91/blog/series/3490 in 2011. I also realized how much I enjoyed doing that blog and how it helped to encourage me in the shop. So for 2015 I present “Another 52 Weeks” I have some trips planned throughout the coming year so a little bit of a challenge but hope to r...
Well, the first in this series was a little on the ordinary side, that is not very creative, so it was time to step up a little and try something that quite frankly scared me.But the result will be rather nice if I do say so myself.This is unfinished at this stage, the glue is not yet cured properly and only the outside is shaped. The base and neck also need more shaping but that will happen in due course. The inside also has to be turned out.The same process was used as the first one, cu...
Every year in Mid January I go to this little Fiber arts show and vend. I make Crochet hooks, Yarn bowls and a bunch of other stuff as well.One of the things I make is called an Inkle Loom. They are used to weave long straps for a number of uses, Google it you’ll get the idea.The version I make has 10 pegs on it and I am currently building 3 of them. Since driving an hour and a half to pick up 5/8 Oak dowel rod didn’t fit into my schedule I decided to turn the dowels. Thirty piece...
Fooling around this evening, I cut off a length of maple that the road crew lopped off our curbside tree a few years ago and put it on my turning set up. Having recently watched a few videos on the ‘This Woodwork’ channel, nee ‘The Teen Woodworker’, I decided to try making a honey dipper. It’s still a little rough. When I showed my wife she said it was huge. Oh well. It was just an experiment anyway.
After conspiring for some four years I finally saved up my pennies for the Grizzly G0602 metal cutting lathe. Had fun rigging it into my basement and began the process of disassembly, inspection and cleaning all the cosmoline off of it. These Chinese lathes are priced low enough for hobbyist to afford, but require a bit of TLC, as there are lots of burrs that need filing and grit to clean up in order to get everything moving smoothly. With the lathe weighing in at over 400 lb...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1484 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1508 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries