I was wanting to use a vacuum chuck on my lathe so first thing I needed was a way to get vacuum to the spindle. Lucky for me, or not so lucky, my spindle has a hole cross drilled into it! This made my project a bit more involved, but still successful. I used a threaded lamp rod to supply vacuum through the spindle along with a couple of ball bearings, pipe fittings, and two spindle adapters I turned. All the meat and potatoes is in my post, Make a Vacuum Adapter For Your Lathe. I...
Always changing plugs between the lathe, grinder, and lamp. I picked up a three-pronged outlet to secure to the stand. This way I wouldn’t have to change any plugs. I looked for a bracket that would fit around the plug, but couldn’t find anything that fit. I drilled two holes in the webbing between the plugs, and put a screw through each into the back of the lathe stand. A couple of zipties, and the easiest part of the project was done. The three-way adapter has the nice bonus of a small g...
A lack of light was one of the shortcomings of my original design. My garage has two west-facing windows, but not a whole lot of useable light. I had used a pair of portable halogen work lights on a stand. Both of them promptly burned out. When I went to the hardware store to replace the bulbs, I looked through the lighting section and found a clip-on LED light with a flexible neck. I had a hard time finding a place to clip the light. The frame of the lathe stand was too wide for the clip....
This week pasted rather quickly with some snow days included but the good news is I got some extra shop time to finish my cleaning and have already started pulling things apart again. Was able to almost complete an order of wine tilts for a customer but still waiting for the garage to get above 40 so I can spray lacquer them. Hopefully tomorrow. May have to spur it a bit with a heater. I am sure some of you are aware it is Pine Wood Derby Season again, I had a friend call and ask if her son c...
Figuring out how to make sandpaper available was a challenge. My first method was tearing small strips of sanding sheets. Although effective, this took time, and I seemed to be misplacing the sheets fairly frequently. I looked into smarter ways of sanding on the lathe. I found woodturner’s packs of sandpaper, with 1” strips of various grits. This made a lot more sense than tearing strips of sheets of sandpaper. However, the packs seemed a bit pricey, and I wanted to be able to conceal the ...
Making progress – finished 4 bishops. The link to my YouTube video is here: http://youtu.be/U2gRbqZxhAo Amazing how much fun you can have learning something new! The Knights are next – sheesh – I have no idea how I’m gonna do those yet… Comments and especially suggestions from other turners are indeed welcome! James
My tool storage consisted of loops on pegboard and clamps for the larger instruments. The advantages were easy visualization of the tools and simplicity. The major disadvantage was distance from the working end of the lathe. I found that I hoarded the tools in a pile on the table saw nearby, or on the lathe stand in the sandpaper heap. The tools would occasionally fall onto the concrete floor, shortening the times between sharpening. I happened upon a two-tiered tool holder on a tool websi...
I learned early on that turning tends to dull tools rather efficiently. Before we moved my workbench, which had the lathe bolted on, was right next to some shelves, where I bolted the grinder. These were fairly tight quarters, and the grinder was close by anytime I was on the lathe. Now that I had a bigger garage, I couldn’t find a location for the grinder near where the lathe stand was stored. My original lathe stand design did not leave enough surface to add the grinder to the top of the st...
After a battle with a head and chest cold and a woodworkers club meeting, I’m back working on the lathe. I found that at least someone is reading this blog. I heard from one of our Lumberjocks, Fred Borden, over the weekend. He has bought one of these little Delta jewels with trashed Reeves drives. Fred is persuing a little different tack on restoring his 46-715. I hope he will blog his journey and give us another option for these lathes. Well, I have to report Fred is a great guy...
I found a Craftsman Midi Lathe (#21752) for an unbeatable deal, and combined with coupons and SYWR points, it was just over $100 (list price $450). But for that price it came with a few problems. I first found it listed on Sears Outlet, and then when I went to the mall store locations, I had to do some asking to get. Upon inspection I discovered that the belt cover was cracked, not much, but just a little. and everything else looked great. The manager suggested that I purchased the protection...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1482 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1506 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 240 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 203 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- stefang - 186 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries