In early December, a little more than a week before I flew home, I decided to make mom a cutting board. However, the garage was a mess. I spent some time figuring out what I could attack, cleaning off the back table to use for flattening the board after the glue-up, building the router sled and rails to perform the flattening, and as a slipped-in, totally unrelated side project, I built a quickie rolling lathe stand on the cheap, as I’m still looking for work. When I say “on the c...
I had tried several different ways to store my turning tools and accessories and remembered an article that was in issue #137 September 2008 American Woodworker (page 52), original design idea by Ray Lanham. This is a simple stand that is built under the lathe bed between the legs. The stand incorporates a ballast box that holds sand. I altered the plans to fit my lathe. This project was built from plywood I had left over from other projects. The PVC pipe is 2 inches in diameter. I cut...
When I last left off, I showed the dovetail slides, but they didn’t have a good way yet of attaching to the drawers, and weren’t in the drawer carcase yet. That reminds me. Here’s the carcase installed: I cut a piece of scrap ply to fit on the top and tacked it on with small, set nails – lots of ‘em :) And now for another rambling video on how I finished up the drawer slides: This was the glue-up on the drawer blocks: Adding walnut pegs thro...
With my new rolling lathe stand rolling and standing well, it was time for some drawers. This was also a great opportunity to start using up some of that huge pile of free, scrap alder I got 6 months ago. I hadn’t used any prior to this, and while the smell of the lumber and dust when I picked it up brought me back to my childhood – they made me vividly recall toys and painting easels from my kindergarten – cutting it fresh smelled sweet, and reminded me a lot of something l...
This one’s been in the works for awhile, and by that I mean I’ve pondered it in my head for a few minutes here and there over the last several months. I’ve had the general idea most of that time, but this week I pondered even harder than ever and imagined all of the pieces. I just wanted something simple that could hold one of the two dust hoods I’ve ended up with from Rockler, but I wanted to be able to tilt it forward over the piece, or backward out of the way, an...
In keeping with the “don’t spend anything” ethic of this piece, I found some scrap 1/2” boards. Two were longer scraps of baltic birch ply, but there was only enough with the long grain for the 2 sides of each drawer. I had a stack of scraps of the same stuff but with the grain running across the width, so I cut 2 of those down for the backs. The fronts I made from scrap 1/2” construction grade ply. The drawer fronts would cover those up. The bottoms are 1/8̶...
I wasn’t totally happy with the former workbench, turned lathe stand. So, when we moved, I re-purposed that to be the outfeed table for my table saw, and set about planning a new one for my mini lathe. I had a couple plans that I’d almost made – but would have had to buy or salvage the right pieces. One was a great, and HEAVY, made with plywood and filled with sand. Twice, I almost started that one… but the idea of something lighter with properly splayed legs appeal...
I just received a really inexpensive (less than $90) 40” lathe (not HF). To try it out, it seemed that the first order of business is a stand to sit it on (and stabilize it). I looked at all the lathe stand projects and found one by fellow LJs Garys and garriv777 that seemed to have the length and depth I was after. Theirs is much nicer than my pine, treated pine and Advantech creation, but then again I’m not finished yet. ;=) I had every thing I needed except two 8 foot 2...
After the final phase of glue up for the legs, putting the top on was a piece of cake. Clamp, countersink, screw, (so it can be adjusted if ever necessary) and this puppy is ready for work. Well, it’s ready for it’s close up,... then work (or play) depending on your perspective. Goodbye workmate, Hello, nurse! I left in that metal plate on the ends. For looks and added weight. Plus it makes a handy chisel holder! As you can see by the outsid...
The second piece of old fashioned book binding equipment (nearly 2” thick Maple!) going into this project: Removing metal hardware before running through the tablesaw. The mortising for it, done almost entirely by drill. threaded metal rods run through both ends, cross grain. for rigidity? structural integrity? aid in glue up? Didja guess #2? Ok, so I knew this one had a split in it, but I didn’t know how bad. Luckily the plan was to rip off both edges, lik...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1063 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Just for Fun... - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1085 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 289 entries
- MsDebbieP - 285 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 215 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 201 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 183 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 148 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries