I’d like to share one of my latest shop additions: hand screw clamp. The idea of the build was stolen from John Heisz, have a look at how he built it in details. There are couple of things that I did differently, but in general it’s the same. The wood used for this project is larch (as I still had larch board left from previous project). The screw was made from M12 threaded rod (about 1/2”). Jaws length is 12”, opening is 8”. I have to admit that ...
This is the blog describing how i made this chair. For a long time I have had this corner of my garden that have a place for a bonfire. We use it a lot and the favorite is making pancakes using a pan on a long stick. My son loves it! But the place itself could use some help. Especially the chairs are a bit annoying. I keep them because they were a gift from a friend and have a fun story to them (they are made by the inmates of a local prison that houses long term prisoners): The ...
This is a blog on creating this project. After making my Shop stool I have gotten a lot of interest and questions like “can you make me one as well?” and “is it possible to make it from a light wood?” Inspired from several people here that talk about making money on their woodwork I thought it would be usefull to make another stool experimenting with methods to potentially make it more production friendly. Other than that i set up 3 goals:- It should be made from...
(This is my first attempt on a blog entry. English is my 2. language so bear over with me on spelling errors, funny language and all that.) This is a blog describing how i made this projeckt For a long time i´ve had this idea of making a rack for my cook books in the kitchen. They are just collecting dust on the shelf and not really getting the attension they deserve. Now i do see a lot of people using “plate racks” (dont know the word in english and google translate sugg...
My old rear deck was falling apart. The ledger board was not treated lumber and had been installed withouta drip cap and was half rotted, since it is the first thing put up and the last taken down, the entire deck hadto be torn down. No pictures of this, it was just too badly built. The county building inspectors said that 4X4 post would be OK as supports, but then they wanted more 4X4 post bolted to the sides of the deckas guard posts to support the railing. I decided to simplify life and...
The First Garboard Plank The first plank is on! It has been the most difficult part of the build so far. I’ve gone through 4 planks to get it right. For my fellow LJers who may be wondering, I’ve put in a few hours here and there, but I’ve taken quite a bit of time away from the project since the holidays. I’m exciting to be focused again. The challenge with this is getting the plank flush and tight into the rabbit along the keel. It’s a tough plank bec...
I finished lining off the planks today. Lining off is the process with which you project the final plank layout onto the hull. My first attempt at this didn’t go so well. Thanks to some suggestions from some fellow lumberjocks, I took the time to learn more about the process and I’m much happier with the results. The book, Building Small Boats by Greg Rossel, as recommended by DaveR, is an exceptional resource and I basically used the process in the lining off chapter. Results ...
Just a few more steps left before I can start putting the planking on the sides. Cutting in the Rabbet Between Stem and Keel The next crucial step is cutting in the rabbet between the Stem and Keel. This was done entirely by hand with a few sharp chisels. I used a small piece of wood (3”x1”x3/8”) as a template, representing the plank, to ensure a smooth transition as I cut away the rabbet. Here is the before picture: And the after picture. This was done on both ...
This next part is cutting the rabbet into the Keel and Stem. The rabbet is a groove for planking to butt into. The rabbet must be accurately cut in order to form a tight seal. The rabbet for sunshine runs down both sides of the stem as shown and continues along the keel to the stern. Keel Rabbet Cutting the Rabbet in the Keel was relatively easy since I had already beveled the keelson from the lofted lines in the Stem and Knee - Part 2 section. To me, it seemed practical to try ...
It’s been a busy month for other things, but I’ve made some good progress on the boat. I’ve also managed to find some great planking lumber, with a great story behind it, which I’ll write about a bit below. But first, update on the transom which now completes the stern. The transom is attached to sternpost with 5 countersunk #10 bronze screws which are covered with matching cherry plugs. Later on, I’ll epoxy in and cut the plugs off flush. And a ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries