At the urging of my girlfriend, I fumed a small scrap of QSWO and then went over it with amber shellac and dark brown wax, buffing it out with 0000 steel wool. It’s pretty magnificent. As a result, I decided to give my Limbert table an “authentic” Stickley finish. While waiting for the glue to cook, I fashioned what can only be described as an impromptu fuming tent. Even one of my neighbors came over to see what monstrosity I was building, as they’re usually ...
Yesterday, I milled up four long, rough boards to 3/4”. The Robert Lang book uses thicker stock, but I had to get rid of the saw marks. I chopped them up a bit oversized to give me some leeway during the glue up. I arranged the boards for defects and grain to give me the best four sides out. I glued up one panel every two hours last night during dinner and a movie. This morning they’re all ready for the band saw. One thing I’ve noticed is that there seems to be a lot o...
The original link to this podcast was removed, but it has since been re-established… In this podcast I do the final assembly and complete the Frank Lloyd Wright inspired lamp. Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Lamp - Final Assembly
The original link to this podcast was lost, it has since been re-established… I’ve had several questions about this lamp; in this podcast I show how the shade is assembled. Frank Lloyd Wright Inspired Lamp - Assembling the Lampshade
Been so caught up in my boxmaking, I figured I’d better get this box built, so I can go onto the next step when I”m ready… This will be the “steam chamber” to let me stretch the legs a bit. Just needs the doors, a rack, and some steam (lots of steam).
Having successfully burned out my Dremel, I went for the cordless drill as well as my chisels. Judging by the amount of wood i still had to go through, I’d have likely killed another dremel in the process! I guess they are made for lots of different jobs, not so much hogging off wood for extended periods. I’ll definately be looking into those carving tools Dick suggested. Didn’t take too long to get all three legs liberated from each other, was tricky with the “can...
Last time I merely defined the legs (or let the crack and grain define them for me), twists and all. Today, armed with some new attachements for the Dremel I cut two channels clean on though to the middle, “freeing” one leg, and nearly completeing the third channel to free the other two. Apart from the wood on the surface, this is some nice, hard wood, and was putting up quite a fight, so this is the progress so far. The Dremel was starting to heat up, and I think I’ll need ...
Quick update after such a long (long) break from this project. As previously blogged elsewhere, the lamp will indeed be made from a single piece of lilac with the lower portion divided into three legs straddling a stone. Took months of on-and-off pondering, and some brainstorming, but now, having worked out the next few challenging steps, I can put the “lamp back on!” Today I took my Dremel to the cracks and splits on one end (after finally deciding which end was up) and...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries