So I began the build with the top, figuring that I could use it to build the base. The wife bought me a Vika for Christmas so it is my temporary work bench (along with my trusty, old, Workmate and saw horses).As you may have seen in my earlier entry, the top was to consist of two, 8 piece laminations. I face planed them with my #7 to ensure good glue up and glued them at the same time as two separate chunks. Here was my first screw-up (should have planed them four square). This was clos...
The Nets are done and I’m really pleased with how they came out, this being my first attempt at steam bending or building my own net frames. Two of them will make nice gifts for my Dad and my Brother. Net#1: Walnut and Alder Hoop with a Walnut Handle. The inside diameter of the hoop is 9”x14” with an overall length of 21.5”. One of my hand made fly fishing lanyards is on the table behind the net. I fish with a lanyard to hold my fly fishing tools rather tha...
It’s been a while since I posted my last update on this project and I’ve made a lot of progress. Once I got the basic shaping and sanding done, I had to stop until I found the net bags that I wanted to use on the frames. As of this week, I have everything I need to finish the nets, so here are some more photos to show you what I’ve done so far: Here is net #2 after bending, but before glue up. This photo gives a good look at how I pegged my circles to the melamine ba...
So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...
So, I’ve started the bed and its been going pretty good so far. I had all the stock that i had already bought (still need to find a few pieces and pick up the hardward, however its not Really needed until the end, so im not worried about it) resting in the shop for about 10 days which is good! The wood im using for the this project is Poplar, its easy enough to work with, it stains up beautifully, and was readily available and on the lower end of the price market. Onto the woodworkin...
The time has come to start making this thing look like a bench. In order to make the short stretchers I need to know what the final width of the bench is going to be. I am mostly playing the length, width, and thickness of the top by ear since I didn’t know how much I was going to have to remove from the construction grade wood I used. I purchased the pieces for the top 1 year ago so they have had quite a bit of time to dry out as well as bend and twist and warp. There are also some...
In this video I mill the timber for the legs to final size, re-saw the leg stock ready for lamination and then its finally onto the lamination process. Visit http://www.jordswoodshop.com for work woodwork related goodness! Visit http://jordswoodshop.com/2011/11/video-ep-2-bent-lamination-dining-table-%E2%80%93-part-2/ Or visit youtube directly http://youtu.be/bqOF0_KEbeI Or just watch it here
Squared off the top…. here is the third cut…Now rotate every other piece… And line up the pieces… A quick border… just a few offcuts to frame the design… The piece on the right is cut parallel and moved over to the other end for the glue up… this make both ends fit the clamps better.. That was easy hey???
Out of the clamps… and cut at 25 degrees… [through the centre of each chevron going down from left to right…] each other piece rotated end for end… For those who can not picture this… there will be a video forthcoming.. by the end of the week I hope… And now back in clamps for the day… out tomorrow and I will see if this goes to the third gen… Stay tuned…By the way… timbers used Queensland Maple and Purple Heart…
Today, as I make my way out to the workshop, ideas are flying around… having looked at the information on lamination design that Scott sent….wow… so many new thoughts are spinning through my head… I had an inkling as to how it was done… but now the technical part is explained… So, to the shed…..rip, glue, crosscut, glue, crosscut at a different angle and glue again… then sand, sand, and sand some more… These three boards were made us...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1196 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 66 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1218 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 332 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries