Are you interested in taking the pain out of using pipe clamps when laminating large blocks?No problem, as long as you have a piece of 2” x 4” to spare (and who doesn’t?).1. Cut the piece of 2” x 4” to a length of 6 to 8 inches longer than the maximum length of any lamination that you will be producing.2. Mark off a centerline down the 4” face of the 2” x 4”.3. Using a spade bit of the same diameter as your clamp pipes, drill holes at 2” or 3” intervals along the centerline marked i...
Well i finally got this piece completely finished, it took longer than expected but am glad its now done.Here are some photos of the completed piece. Hope you enjoy. click the link to take you to my website to see more photo’s http://joshhallfurniture.weebly.com/1/post/2013/06/st-giles-piece-photos.html
So, the top needed skirts, obviously, so time to laminate again. This time, I used 3 pieces of 1×8 black walnut. This gave me a skirt that is 2 1/4” thick, and 6 3/4” wide – after cleaning up the edges. I glued up enough blanks for the front skirt, two end skirts, and chops for both vises. I did not get very many pictures of this process, as I had plenty of lamination pics earlier….I will say that these skirts were BEEFY! And heavy. So, now I had to figure...
Time to glue up. Since I painstakingly fit each tenon to it’s matching mortise, I was fairly confident that glue-up would go ok. To solve the short clamp issue, I went down to the hardware store & got some couplers to hook pipes together to get more length out of my pipe clamps. Also, I borrowed some longer parallel clamps from a friend – and I’m glad he had them! I did a dry assembly & everything worked great. It was a little tricky to do by myself, but I g...
Back at it. Since the plans for the workbench called for stretchers that are 1 3/4” thick by 4” wide, I had to get back to laminating. The rest of the bench so far has all been built with Lenga (Chilean Cherry, some call it), but I recently acquired a bunch of nominal 1×8 black mahogany that had been edge glued for width. I got it cheap (very cheap) because it was edge glued with no attention given to matching the color. The material is 3/4” thick, and I d...
Back at it….FINALLY!!!Considering my last entry on this project was almost 2 years ago, I thought I had better get going. I resumed work on my workbench recently. I had most of the trestle components laminated up (legs & feet anyway), so I started working on the mortises & tennons. I started with the feet, which required 2 big mortises (1 1/2” x 2 1/4”) 2 1/2” long. I drilled most of the material out with a 1/4” drill bit followed by a 3/4” fors...
I decided to put a wagon vise in my bench. I considered a traditional L-shaped tail vise, and also a twin screw end vise. But I really like the simplicity of a wagon vise. Furthermore, since I’m limited on shop space to the tail end of where my bench will be, I thought a wagon vise would consume the least amount of real estate off of the tail. And finally, a wagon vise seemed like it would be a really cool project to build! I hadn’t planned out the exact dimensions of the v...
יום ירושלים First off, thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I really do appreciate it. Note to self: If you think something nice whilst reading someone else’s stuff, tell them—you never know what your comments can generate. I looked at the wood and thought—what the hell? How badly can i f this up (probably more than i can guess, so i am thankful for that blind-spot)? Let’s look at the wood, and forget about getting the bloody things objectively flat; how a...
So what can you make with salvaged parquet floor blocks? This one is not a gift, but it is intended to be a centre piece on the family Christmas-Lunch table. Here is the rough design of a candle holder I am making for Friday. (inspired by an LJ posting).The pale sections are parquet blocks, and the pink sections are thin strips of the found wood shown here. This is my first laminating project so there are a few firsts, and a few lessons learned. First glue-up of the main body..Mai...
I was asked by a fellow Lumberjocker to further detail the process of bent lamination. I am sure that there are many of you FAR more qualified to document this then I but in the spirit of sharing knowledge and to honor a request I have blogged this process in a more indepth manor. Please note that I have included pictures from two separate projects. I start by building forms from MDF. I prefer to use light weight MDF if you can find it but the standard stuff works well too albeit alot h...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1466 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 93 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1490 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 236 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- shipwright - 198 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- stefang - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries