So, I recently built a new cedar gate & needed some handles. I didn’t want to go out & buy some, so decided to make my own. Inspired by “http://lumberjocks.com/projects/48854” CaptainAhab’s handles, I ended up with:Here’s how I built them:Starting with a lamination of 3 pieces of clear Cedar which I planed down to about 2 1/8” thick:Obviously, I made a little template for the top curves out of 1/4” plywood & cut the top curve with the ban...
I found a posting in the ‘Free’ section of Craig’s List for some scrap wood piled up next to the curb. It was on a street just a few streets over from where I live. So… I ran over and this is what I found on the curb… And here’s more of it loaded in my truck… And a closeup of the mesquite… Here’s a closeup of the maple burl I found in the pile… It’s the best Craig’s List score I’ve ever ...
After debating with myself for the past 6 months or so, I finallly decided on a design and got the nod from my CFO to go buy the lumber (it helps that my local Menards had a sale on everything in the store, including lumber). I won’t go into all the details and back story on the blog here, I’ll reserve that for my full up woodworking blog over at: vaughtwoodworks.wordpress.com Feel free to visit that site for all the details, more photos, my thoughts, etc. I will endeavor ...
A few weeks ago Michael Mode did a demo for some members of the Front Range Woodturners here in Denver. His demo was good enough that I thought I might be able to do that and I gave it a try. It was a 5 layer bowl out of some mystery wood and it turned out OK. I thought it was a bit rough and that I depended entirely too much on my 60 and 80 grit turning tools to finish it off. So I thought I’d try a second one. This one is out of a nice piece of walnut. I got it all glued up and...
OK, let me apologize right up front…I didn’t take any pictures of the next few operations..they were really basic stuff, and I was so focused on completing them I just didn’t think to grab the camera. I last left you when all the trays were glued up and ready for routing. First I did some preliminary sanding of the ends. I clamped the top and bottoms together and installed the belt on my Rigid drum sander. I clamped a temporary straight edge perpendicular to the belt to keep...
Ok, after a brief side track, here we go again with the poker chip tray saga.. Where I last left you, I had gotten all the strips glued up into blanks. I had to wait about a week or so, to take a day off and pay a visit to my old boss and his wonderful wide belt sander. Sorry but I didn’t take any pictures of the process but it went something like this… The trays were only 10” long, and you cant put anything through the sander thats smaller than 16”, so I butted eac...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1510 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1534 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 252 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 177 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 165 entries