Here’s where the magic happens. After all the milling and ripping and glueing and re-sawing, we finally get to see if we can really match the lines all around the box. Sure we can. After planing each piece to thickness and ensuring the ends are square, open them up in a book-match. Draw a chalk line at the approximate width of each of the boxes’ ends from opposite ends (this is just to identify the parts). The pictures below explain it better than I can in words. I like to l...
And what a weapon it is!!Extremely well made, heavy- 12.5 ounces (without the handle), sharp, and the blade is mounted on the axle so there is absolutely no “wobble”. No pizza stands a chance against this mighty duo!— Emma wanted something to match her stunning outfit so a laminated blank of cherry, maple and walnut was glued up.— After mounting in the lathe, a hole is drilled to accept the threaded insert. As per the instructions, this is a 15/32” brad point bit. The hole i...
Pics will be in a few minutes… Where exactly did I leave off last time…ahh the main body is essentially done, and now all the adjustment features are all that’s left. Boxing The one weakness of cherry for planes is that it’s just a little bit soft. Not much softer then beech, but enough that a harder sole will help over the years. Especially on a fillister or rabbet plane where almost all of the wear is on a corner. I chose bubinga to box it with, because its ...
If you’ve ever struggled with setting inset doors, I have an easy method for you.
I wanted to make the bench’s stretchers as proportionately beefy as the top and legs. Since my legs are 5” square, I figured it would work well, and look good, to make the stretchers about 3 1/2” high, and about 2 1/2” thick. So I had to AGAIN joint, plane, glue, clamp and wait some more. I’ve been getting kind of bored of doing glue-ups, so I’m glad this was the last laminating I’ll have to do on this project. I want to integrate 3/4” thick...
Dimming Eyesight:A hard topic for some of us, but as we enter our 40-something years, most of us notice some changes in our eyesight. Not the usual stuff we have seen happen in our 20’s and 30’s, that was easily repaired by a little stronger prescription glasses, but some serious changes. The first signs, are obvious, the inability to see clearly up close. After we deny the problem for several months, we are faced with the reality that we need more light to see, and we need m...
I woke up this morning and tried to get some work done before the Super Bowl (Go Packers!). I trimmed the extra laminate and proceeded to bond the second face. Here is the top with sticks on it so I can position the laminate above it without gluing it in the wrong place: Then I placed the laminate on the sticks and got it positioned so there is equal amounts of overhang all the way around: Then I pull out the sticks working out from the middle and press the laminate down: Once agai...
Let me start by saying, I do not skate board. I want to make sure I am not associated with skate boarders and as a disclaimer, I didn’t know much about them. My brothers in law wanted to get into long boarding. I decided to tackle the challenge of making a pair of boards. I haven’t done anything like this build before. I learned a lot and if there are any pointers you may have please let me know. I played with the idea of inlaying fiberglass but after some failed testin...
Melamine is notorious for chipping out when cutting. In this video I share my tools and techniques for creating clean cuts on both sides of melamine. The blade I use in the video is a Freud LU97R010. It makes the cut on the back side as clean as on the top side. The images of the cuts in the video are of the backside of the material where chip-out tends to occur. (I did not make that clear in the video.) In Part II I will show you how to apply edge banding. This is not just instr...
After completing the new counter top, my next step will be to breakdown the adjacent cabinet that I used to store my 13” planer and bench top router table. Eventually, I will store the planer on the bottom shelf of the workbench. I have been eyeing the Maste-R-Lift from JessEm for a while so I thought this would be a good time to invest. First I glued and screwed together 2 pieces of 27×20” 3/4 MDF and edge glued and biscuited some scrap 3/4 ash to the sides. Here i...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1430 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 92 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1454 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 192 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries