I would have posted this as a forum topic but couldn’t find a category where I thought it would fit. Anyway . . . On one side of the miter of our kitchen countertop, about a 4-inch length of the laminate has lifted from the substrate. I attempted to fix it by putting laminate adhesive on a palette knife and spreading it inside on both laminate and substrate, allowing it to dry, and then pressing it down. That was a couple of months ago and it has lifted again. I don’t want ...
Okay, so if you follow this blog, you’ll know that last year I built a leg vice and attached it to the workbench I built over the summer. The chop on this vice was simply two pieces of 3/4” pine, about 6” wide, glued together and shaped (with some crude tools I had at the time and zero knowledge of what I was doing). Then I carved my initials and the year of it’s construction (2012) into it and made a nice little handle out of poplar. Well, it works. ThatR...
If you’ve ever struggled with setting inset doors, I have an easy method for you.
Melamine is notorious for chipping out when cutting. In this video I share my tools and techniques for creating clean cuts on both sides of melamine. The blade I use in the video is a Freud LU97R010. It makes the cut on the back side as clean as on the top side. The images of the cuts in the video are of the backside of the material where chip-out tends to occur. (I did not make that clear in the video.) In Part II I will show you how to apply edge banding. This is not just instr...
Let me start by saying, I do not skate board. I want to make sure I am not associated with skate boarders and as a disclaimer, I didn’t know much about them. My brothers in law wanted to get into long boarding. I decided to tackle the challenge of making a pair of boards. I haven’t done anything like this build before. I learned a lot and if there are any pointers you may have please let me know. I played with the idea of inlaying fiberglass but after some failed testin...
I wanted to make the bench’s stretchers as proportionately beefy as the top and legs. Since my legs are 5” square, I figured it would work well, and look good, to make the stretchers about 3 1/2” high, and about 2 1/2” thick. So I had to AGAIN joint, plane, glue, clamp and wait some more. I’ve been getting kind of bored of doing glue-ups, so I’m glad this was the last laminating I’ll have to do on this project. I want to integrate 3/4” thick...
I had previously finished laminating the two halves that would make up the top. I made two 12” wide sections, ran each through the planer to smooth and true up the tops and bottoms, and ran each mating edge across the jointer. And as I wrote in the previous blog entry, one of the halves already has the finished wagon vise built into it. The two halves were now all done and ready to be glued. It was tricky maneuvering the two parts in the final glue up, as each section was heav...
And what a weapon it is!!Extremely well made, heavy- 12.5 ounces (without the handle), sharp, and the blade is mounted on the axle so there is absolutely no “wobble”. No pizza stands a chance against this mighty duo!— Emma wanted something to match her stunning outfit so a laminated blank of cherry, maple and walnut was glued up.— After mounting in the lathe, a hole is drilled to accept the threaded insert. As per the instructions, this is a 15/32” brad point bit. The hole i...
I woke up this morning and tried to get some work done before the Super Bowl (Go Packers!). I trimmed the extra laminate and proceeded to bond the second face. Here is the top with sticks on it so I can position the laminate above it without gluing it in the wrong place: Then I placed the laminate on the sticks and got it positioned so there is equal amounts of overhang all the way around: Then I pull out the sticks working out from the middle and press the laminate down: Once agai...
Here’s where the magic happens. After all the milling and ripping and glueing and re-sawing, we finally get to see if we can really match the lines all around the box. Sure we can. After planing each piece to thickness and ensuring the ends are square, open them up in a book-match. Draw a chalk line at the approximate width of each of the boxes’ ends from opposite ends (this is just to identify the parts). The pictures below explain it better than I can in words. I like to l...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries