Sorry for the False Start Guys… I had the privacy setting turned on when I posted to YouTube. (D’oh!) It’s Finally Here! Whew! It takes a lot of work to shoot a video, edit, and get it posted to the internet. I am still struggling with posting to the internet. My HD file sizes are too big to be accepted by BlipTv and YouTube, and once I get the size down to an acceptable limit, they lose quite a bit of quality. This is a bit frustrating and makes me sad to see al...
I’m Workin’ On It! I plan on getting the full video posted by Sunday, 13 Sept 2009. I hope to memorize my lines in time:) Back to Editing… Peace, Love, & Woodworking
A friend of mine has a cabinet shop with a spray booth and was nice enough to let me play in it. These photos were all taken in his shop. Here is one of the samples we tried on a test piece. This is aniline die dissolved in alcohol. WOW, I really like the color! We used his Festool sander for the final sanding. I had to stir the dye for over an hour. On goes the die: Sanding in between coats of sanding sealer and lacquer: Er...
I had a LJ send a message about finishing. I thought maybe I’d post the question and answer here and let other LJ’s chime in on what they think or use. Question:I wanted to ask you if you use any kind of sanding sealer on your murphy beds and side cabinets before you spray them with lacquer… My reply:The lacquers that they make now doesn’t need a sanding sealer really. They are so easy to sand there is no point in keeping two products. The companies add a produc...
Today I applied the finish coats of lacquer to all of the pieces. After a couple of hours of drying time I put all of the hardware pieces on, installed the legs as well as the center fake legs/ pull handles. I have come to the conclusion that I need a lot of help with using a spray gun. I either left out a step or do not have the settings right but even though I got a pretty nice finish it is not a really really nice finish that I have achieved with my hand applied finishes in the past....
I’ve put the finish on the train bed. It is just the base color. The rest will be a vinyl similar to what the car wraps are made from. On the base I used a black lacquer undercoater and a flat black lacquer. I’ll do a little bit of assembly on it before it goes to the graphic people. Here are some pictures after the finish: For more building pictures see my Current Projects link at wwbeds.com or poggyskids.com. Watch us build this or see what we are doing live:
A few months back a customer had this cartridge laying out in her back yard and saw me admiring it and told me to take it. I had no idea what i’d do with it but i knew it was too unusual to pass up. So i made me a shell for it out of a chunk of mahogany the other day. Heres what i’m wondering. Can i spray this shell cartridge with my grey lacquer undercoater followed by my matte black lacquer? I’m just not sure how a non automotive type lacquer adheres to metal. Anybody w...
If you are just surfing through the internet about Walking Canes and found this posting, and you want to see some actual canes I’ve carved, click on the Widget Picture of the cane here. That project has more than 40 other links to other unique carved walking canes I’ve built. This blog entry is for showing a new concept sketch of a carved walking cane design that I am working on so that the prospective customer can view the concept drawings and provide his input, or approval. ...
This is the finished product. It’s the biggest project I have done with hardwood and I learned a lot. I finished it with two coats of Minwax gel stain and 3 coats of Minwax brush-on lacquer. The stain was really easy to work with and especially to get into all the inside corners. The brush-on lacquer I had a lot harder time with. I couldn’t get it to lay down smooth on the large plywood pieces because it seemed like it was drying too fast. I’m sure there is a way to f...
Finished! Well it’s been a long journey and it did not end without one extra push. I finished installing the copper handles Monday by 11:30. There was a couple of scratches but I was certain I could buff them out. This is a skill that goes with the territory. I worked on the finish for the next six hours and I could not get the finish to blend. How to Remove a Scratch- After exhausting all other options this is what I resorted to today: Yes you are seeing it correctly...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1042 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1064 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 213 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 198 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries