This dirty, heavy unidentified board had been kicking around for some years.. ..imagine my delight when I ran a plane over it and found this lovely lacewood: I scaled up from a photograph of a Moog lap steel. Imitation is, after all the sincerest from of flattery! Bandsawn to rough shape and tidied up on the bobbin sander. Rough planed to 1.5” and sanded through the trusty shop-made thicknesser: Routed out for wenge inlays: Inlays glued in and ...
It seems like the arched form needs to be lifted off the table by some amount. I’m not sure by how much. My technique in situations like this is choose from a range. Start with too little and keep adding until it seems like too much. Somehwere in between “too little” and “too much” there should be a “just right” or at least a “close enough”!In this case I start adding spacers underneath each end. Here is the range of heights. The wi...
I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right. In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily...
Today I finished the lacewood lock. I applied 4 coats of Arm R Seal. Over all I am happy with it. This is the first time I used lacewood and I liked using it.This is also my first time trying inlay. The inlay is made of bubinga and the shackle and buttons are walnut. I hope this helps all of you that asked about my other locks.
So I have started on my box project! I had originally wanted to start with a similar design as Douglas’s box (see his project), however I wanted something even easier to start back into woodworking with. So I chose this simple design, featuring a flush lid that is opened by a bit of lever action when an end is pressed down. Of course, all good things start with a plan… Since I no longer had access to any cutlist software, and since this is a simple 6-sided box, I tried a f...
Today I bought 2 Bd.Ft. of lacewood for another lock. I also bought a small piece of bubinga for a inlay. I have never worked with lacewood or made a inlay before, so hopefully I will learn something new. I am hoping to photograph the lock as I make it. Today I finished the calf roping stand for my son. He picked it up before I could get a pic of it.
Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.
Well today I start a new lock made from lacewood. I bought a piece of lacewood that was 6in.by 48in. at Woodcraft. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and I guess now is as good a time as any. I am hoping to use different types of wood and make different styles of locks. I hope to learn to use inlay on this lock also. I started out by cutting of one piece about 13 in long. I then re sawed it and planed it to just under 3/8 thick. Then I cut a piece 4 1/2 long and ripped all part...
Well, I’ve finally gone and done it. After blogging about books on boxes , I got the itch to make some boxes! I haven’t delved extensively into boxes, and it has been ages, so it’s like starting new again. My wife makes jewellery that she sells online and at craft shows. She has a show sometime in late October, and another in early November, and I thought it would be a great idea to offer some jewellery boxes next to the jewellery. I therefore have a motivational deadline...
The lid is the most “visible” part of these boxes. I’ve been making mitered frames with panel centers. Some times a mirror on the inside, other times I use veneer. Options would be to make a panel similar to the base or choose another arrangement that draws the eye. For this box, I chose a veneered panel with a mitered frame. As with the base, the dimensions of the inside of the top frame are identical to the dimensions of the box body interior (6” x 8R...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries