I spent a very happy day in my workshop today….mostly I jointed, thicknessed and ripped lots of timber… Purple Heart, Silver Ash, Silky Oak…[aka Lacewood] and Tasmanian Blackwood… I used an Incra TSLS 32 to rip fine strips for accents.. More woven pattern projects in the wind. It is such a pleasure to work in the new clean workshop… I moved the 3 metre machine around to make more room to play on the 2 metre machine… and moved the mitre saw… now I hav...
I liked the first patchwork coffee table that I made so much that I’m making another one. With improvements of course. Start with a lot of different exotic woods. Thanks to www.exoticwoodsusa.com I started with 2” thick blocks of wood and resawed them to 1” (so I have enough left over to make another table). Make them look pretty (easy to do with this wood). This table was inspired in part by a carpet that I got in Afghanistan a few years ago… The ta...
So i’ve been building the Sam Maloof, Hal Taylor inspired rocking chair to the point that about all I do is build these chairs and I love it! I’ve decided to market them locally as well as on the internet, so far i’ve done small, medium and large in soft maple, walnut and lacewood or a combo of walnut / lacewood. I want to be able to offer different rocking chairs as well as chairs and tables but let’s not get ahead of our selves here. Anyways i’ve decided ...
I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right. In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily...
Today I finished the lacewood lock. I applied 4 coats of Arm R Seal. Over all I am happy with it. This is the first time I used lacewood and I liked using it.This is also my first time trying inlay. The inlay is made of bubinga and the shackle and buttons are walnut. I hope this helps all of you that asked about my other locks.
Okay, I got approval form the customer and time to get started on the project. To pattern it I enlisted the services from a local sign company. They printed it up with the colors separated life size (life size to the bed not life size in the wild). They made me some mask to use as the pattern. Here is also the wood I choose to use. They are Quarter Sawn Walnut (dark color) and Lacewood (reddish color): These were masks so I was able to stick them to the veneer pieces. I cut them out...
Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.
Wow. I’ve had a busy weekend, but unfortunately I was not able to finish as much as I wanted. Since I knew I was going to be using my router, I first fixed the problem I had with it. I cut my stock to width and length, and I regret having cut the carcase pieces it to length. This made the next step, running it through the router, much trickier, since I had to use my push-pad to control a 3-1/2” long piece as it was getting a rabbet cut on it! It wanted to pull itself into th...
Well today I start a new lock made from lacewood. I bought a piece of lacewood that was 6in.by 48in. at Woodcraft. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and I guess now is as good a time as any. I am hoping to use different types of wood and make different styles of locks. I hope to learn to use inlay on this lock also. I started out by cutting of one piece about 13 in long. I then re sawed it and planed it to just under 3/8 thick. Then I cut a piece 4 1/2 long and ripped all part...
Since I don’t have one of those fancy japanese saw blades with no set, I sanded the keys off with 100 grit (being careful to stop before touching the box), then taking the rest off with 150 grit and finishing the entire box with 220. Of course, I decided to take it one step further, and I went over it again very gently with 320 grit. I then did a quick vacuuming of my work area, and got things prepared. The end of this pair of boxes is now in sight. Here you can see the two boxes lai...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries