Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.
Well today I start a new lock made from lacewood. I bought a piece of lacewood that was 6in.by 48in. at Woodcraft. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and I guess now is as good a time as any. I am hoping to use different types of wood and make different styles of locks. I hope to learn to use inlay on this lock also. I started out by cutting of one piece about 13 in long. I then re sawed it and planed it to just under 3/8 thick. Then I cut a piece 4 1/2 long and ripped all part...
Today I bought 2 Bd.Ft. of lacewood for another lock. I also bought a small piece of bubinga for a inlay. I have never worked with lacewood or made a inlay before, so hopefully I will learn something new. I am hoping to photograph the lock as I make it. Today I finished the calf roping stand for my son. He picked it up before I could get a pic of it.
I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right. In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily...
It seems like the arched form needs to be lifted off the table by some amount. I’m not sure by how much. My technique in situations like this is choose from a range. Start with too little and keep adding until it seems like too much. Somehwere in between “too little” and “too much” there should be a “just right” or at least a “close enough”!In this case I start adding spacers underneath each end. Here is the range of heights. The wi...
Ok fellow LJ’ers. I am working on a new jewelry box and I would like your input on what wood to use on the interior for the dividers and trays. The box is made with Lacewood, with Padauk and Wenge stripes and accents. The box does not have a finish on it yet (just FYI, I am planning on using a gloss poly and then rubbing out back down to a semi-gloss.) Here is what I currently have in stock. Curly MapleLace wooda very little bit of Sapele WalnutWengeAmbrosia Map...
Since I don’t have one of those fancy japanese saw blades with no set, I sanded the keys off with 100 grit (being careful to stop before touching the box), then taking the rest off with 150 grit and finishing the entire box with 220. Of course, I decided to take it one step further, and I went over it again very gently with 320 grit. I then did a quick vacuuming of my work area, and got things prepared. The end of this pair of boxes is now in sight. Here you can see the two boxes lai...
Wow. I’ve had a busy weekend, but unfortunately I was not able to finish as much as I wanted. Since I knew I was going to be using my router, I first fixed the problem I had with it. I cut my stock to width and length, and I regret having cut the carcase pieces it to length. This made the next step, running it through the router, much trickier, since I had to use my push-pad to control a 3-1/2” long piece as it was getting a rabbet cut on it! It wanted to pull itself into th...
So I have started on my box project! I had originally wanted to start with a similar design as Douglas’s box (see his project), however I wanted something even easier to start back into woodworking with. So I chose this simple design, featuring a flush lid that is opened by a bit of lever action when an end is pressed down. Of course, all good things start with a plan… Since I no longer had access to any cutlist software, and since this is a simple 6-sided box, I tried a f...
Well, I’ve finally gone and done it. After blogging about books on boxes , I got the itch to make some boxes! I haven’t delved extensively into boxes, and it has been ages, so it’s like starting new again. My wife makes jewellery that she sells online and at craft shows. She has a show sometime in late October, and another in early November, and I thought it would be a great idea to offer some jewellery boxes next to the jewellery. I therefore have a motivational deadline...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1828 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Shop stuff - 85 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1853 entries
- dbhost - 452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 276 entries
- robscastle - 263 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 233 entries
- bandit571 - 230 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries