LumberJocks

Woodworking blog entries tagged with 'lacewood'

  • Advertise with us
View deeman's profile

Lacewood Lock #3: Shackle and Parts

1596 days ago by deeman | 3 comments »

Today I made the shackle, The latch bolt, and the lever. The shackle is made of walnut and the other parts are from maple. I also drilled the back face and after sanding all the parts did a dry fit of the lock body and back face to make sure all parts worked properly. I then applied Arm R Seal to the top of the lock body. It is very hard to get to after assembly. After some more fitting I will glue the back to the center then the front.

Read this entry »


View Dekker's profile

Project - Lever-Action Boxes #1: Committing Myself

2473 days ago by Dekker | 3 comments »

Well, I’ve finally gone and done it. After blogging about books on boxes , I got the itch to make some boxes! I haven’t delved extensively into boxes, and it has been ages, so it’s like starting new again. My wife makes jewellery that she sells online and at craft shows. She has a show sometime in late October, and another in early November, and I thought it would be a great idea to offer some jewellery boxes next to the jewellery. I therefore have a motivational deadline...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Out of the scrap pile and into a gift #5: Arched Candle Holder - On to New Heights

1677 days ago by sras | 3 comments »

It seems like the arched form needs to be lifted off the table by some amount. I’m not sure by how much. My technique in situations like this is choose from a range. Start with too little and keep adding until it seems like too much. Somehwere in between “too little” and “too much” there should be a “just right” or at least a “close enough”!In this case I start adding spacers underneath each end. Here is the range of heights. The wi...

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood Lock #4: Finished

1590 days ago by deeman | 2 comments »

Today I finished the lacewood lock. I applied 4 coats of Arm R Seal. Over all I am happy with it. This is the first time I used lacewood and I liked using it.This is also my first time trying inlay. The inlay is made of bubinga and the shackle and buttons are walnut. I hope this helps all of you that asked about my other locks.

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood

1603 days ago by deeman | 2 comments »

Today I bought 2 Bd.Ft. of lacewood for another lock. I also bought a small piece of bubinga for a inlay. I have never worked with lacewood or made a inlay before, so hopefully I will learn something new. I am hoping to photograph the lock as I make it. Today I finished the calf roping stand for my son. He picked it up before I could get a pic of it.

Read this entry »


View Chris Davis's profile

A whale of a time (Marquetry) #2: The Layout

1183 days ago by Chris Davis | 1 comment »

Okay, I got approval form the customer and time to get started on the project. To pattern it I enlisted the services from a local sign company. They printed it up with the colors separated life size (life size to the bed not life size in the wild). They made me some mask to use as the pattern. Here is also the wood I choose to use. They are Quarter Sawn Walnut (dark color) and Lacewood (reddish color): These were masks so I was able to stick them to the veneer pieces. I cut them out...

Read this entry »


View sras's profile

Out of the scrap pile and into a gift #6: Arched Candle Holder - Wrap up

1666 days ago by sras | 1 comment »

I fell behind on this a bit with the holidays (plus a bit of a headcold). I guess I’ll start out with a follow up detail from the last entry. Lisa (aka dustbunny) complemented me on the compound miters (Thanks Lisa!). I have to confess that they did not turn out that way right after glueing up. After I smoothed the rough edges, a few of the corners were not lined up right. In addition to the mis match, you can also see there is a slight chip in the lacewood at the bottom. Luckily...

Read this entry »


View deeman's profile

Lacewood Lock #1: Cutting Stock

1601 days ago by deeman | 0 comments »

Well today I start a new lock made from lacewood. I bought a piece of lacewood that was 6in.by 48in. at Woodcraft. I have been wanting to try this for a long time and I guess now is as good a time as any. I am hoping to use different types of wood and make different styles of locks. I hope to learn to use inlay on this lock also. I started out by cutting of one piece about 13 in long. I then re sawed it and planed it to just under 3/8 thick. Then I cut a piece 4 1/2 long and ripped all part...

Read this entry »


« prev 1 2
18 entries


DISCLAIMER: Any posts on LJ are posted by individuals acting in their own right and do not necessarily reflect the views of LJ. LJ will not be held liable for the actions of any user.

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

HomeRefurbers.com

Latest Projects | Latest Blog Entries | Latest Forum Topics

GardenTenders.com :: gardening showcase