So I started this entry this morning before I went out to the Shop to start this build I am so excited to do. Right as I was about to walk out the door go figure my wonderful daughter woke up and were begging for bacon and eggs… so the start had to hold of a little bit for the little princess’s. I did finally get out to the shop and here is what was accomplished today (definitely not as much as I had hope but a start non the less) I started with just some basi...
Redoing little parts of our house, we decided to do an ebony stained wooden counter top. After removing the counter, the pieces were cut individually. They were all glued on. A 1 1/2”x3/4” piece of pine was nailed to the front edge of the counter to give it a thicker look. Stain was then applied after some sanding and filling in any gaps or holes. When the stain was dried approximately 6 coats of poly were applied and let cured before anything was placed on top. View on YouTube
Cutting timber to size LtoR- Walnut, Maple, Cherry for the butchers block & Poplar for the base Base assembly – Sorry forgot to take photos of turning on the Shopsmith Farrow & Ball paint: Downpipe, Satin polyurethane varnish on the drawer Oak drawer tilt guide & drawer runners Base done Cut to 2”x2” Clamps Glue & paint roller Clamps Plane Maple cut to 4” strips Walnut Clamping Add some Walnut More clamping ...
I spent the better of 2014 remodeling my kitchen. I did 95% of the work myself (by myself, my friends aren’t particularly handy). Here’s the details: DesignThe first phase of the project was designing a new layout for the kitchen. Our old kitchen, in addition to being outdated, was pretty cramped and hard for 2 people to work in. We had an eat in area originally, but since the dining room is right next to the kitchen I wanted to use that space to expand the main work area of th...
Some time back, I made a small, box shaped holder for some of Mimi’s kitchen utensils. Everyone has a few things that won’t fit into the drawer or hang on the wall. Over time, it apparently shrunk- I guess the wood dried out- because nothing seemed to fit. I wanted to try doing another segmented turning, so this project was born. Cap’n Eddie has a video on making a dedicated jig for cutting segments. Using his ideas and borrowing a few from Frank Howarth’s miter ...
The glue-ups were trimmed a bit to fit the space above the base cabinets. The walls around the cabs don’t meet at right angles though, so the right glue-up had to be cut accordingly. What is left before finishing is sanding with an ROS, grits 100 through 400. I also want to treat the edge with either a 1/8” round over, or a 1/8” bevel bits. Have to try on a scrap piece first to see which works better. Have yet to find one joint connector to bridge the left and r...
My neighbor had an apple tree loaded with fruit so I decided to make applesauce and can it for the winter. Since I don’t have one of those crank apple peelers, I decided to make my own power peeler with the drill and a spade bit. I clamped the cordless drill down to the counter, and used a spade bit to hold the apples. I went through this full bag of apples in about 45 minutes. Watch the YouTube Video!
So this is the kind of work we do most of the time. This kitchen isn’t going very fast because my boss keeps pulling me off the site to go do something else. He seems to think that more gets done if a bunch of jobs are started all over town instead of concentrating on one at a time. You may hear me complain a lot about this. This kitchen is in a building he owns and there are two more being prepared at the shop. I can’t say that I really like these kitchens, but I felt like w...
My daughter asked me to recommend the best way to make a cabinet to enclose the two dog crates that she uses for her small dogs (a white West Highland Terrier and a Scotty). She found this on the net. Her dogs are small and she doesn’t have room for something this large, so I used Sketchup and came up with this design. It is 58” Wide, 24” Deep, and 32” High. I bought some cabinet grade oak plywood and I will use white oak for the face frame and the drawer...
I recently got a 6 foot length of sycamore which I cut in half in order to make a chopping block/table 3 foot by 2foot. Even after cutting in half the boards were so badly twisted that I had to split them length ways in order to flatten and plane them without removing too much material . The picture above shows the boards sawn ready for jointing and planing. I first of all flattened one face on the jointer and then put them through the thicknesser to achieve a consistent t...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1584 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1609 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries