I found this old book online, that illustrates many traditional joints. I found it very interesting. Woodwork Joints by William Fairham (1927) http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21531/21531-h/21531-h.htm
I posted a picture of a Craftsman Style Frame i made and i thought if anyone was interested, i have a two part video series of how i did it. The main jointery is the use of a half lap. It’s a simple and yet strong joint. I decided to show how to make it using both power tools and hand tools. Hope you enjoy it.chad stanton
Well after another two months of stewing I decided the best way to get rid of temptation was to give in to it and I bought the Dowelmax. Delighted with both the product and the service. As for the price… 300$ in the bank earns 2% after tax i.e.$6 a year. With inflation at 4% this means I was losing £6 a year….misery.Converting the cash into the Dowelmax means I have an asset which will last a lifetime, (or several lifetimes), appreciate in value, make/save money by using it on p...
Here goes my first of many and I do mean many….. Glue Lines It seems to be hard for me to get my glue lines to disappear. I sand and sand trying to get them to go away but can’t seem to eliminate them. The mallet I made, on the top where I put in my splines it looked great at first but then the next day I came to see my dried glue item. They are very faint but can still be seen until I put few coats polyurethane. I noticed some black marks also but this may be from the ch...
So heres the finished thing. You can see it open in the pictures on the bottom. Better pictures soon to come. The drawers are an important part of my design because of my mother. When I was younger she taught my older brother and myself how to play canasta, and always had two nice decks of cards to play, unfortunately we were not the cleanest while playing and the cards almost always got ruined. Eventually she started to hide the cards. It came to the point where she would burry the c...
When working on my various woodworking projects I found times that I had to glue odd joints and really didn’t have the clamps I needed. The solution to the problem was the development of a clamping block that simplified clamping these uncommon joints. The Universal Clamping Block tool will let you clamp the usual miters and and frames but will also facilitate the clamping of a great variety of other joints that occur in woodworking projects that present special clamping problems. ...
I got a 8’ 1” x 10” board and cut 2-14” sections and 2-26 1/2” sections. I ripped one of the 26 1/2” boards 3” in to create the top lid. After nailing the pieces together I was about to work on getting proper dimensions for the interior drawers. I decided before finished the day off I would make a test drawer. I created the front, back and both walls. I then decided I would make them box joint together and it worked out very well, since it was my firs...
Every project’s layout phase, for me, is like spring training – what happened last season is a foundation to build upon; all things are possible when starting fresh. And it’s also an opportunity to set goals that, upon further review, seem almost unattainable. I find myself in that situation right now on something in the shop that’s been underway for a couple weeks. One specific joinery element I’ve decided to incorporate into the build is the mitered dovetail...
Today I was able to resaw some 3/4” boards to make the 3/8” (slightly less) material for the drawers, cut the parts, and joinery, and put it all together for a dry fit. I had originally planned on having 9 individual drawers in the center compartment, but for lack of materials and time, I ended up making 3 large drawers and I’ll put dividers in those and see how it goes, for ease of use it might be better to make 3 smaller boxes for each drawer so that each one can be tak...
I finally had a day off, so I chopped up the messed up lock-mitered legs by setting the blade right up against the fence at a 45 degree angle. I was able to push the legs through with the help of a featherboard to be as safe as possible. I chopped a bit off each side, but I think the next version will be much better, even if they’re up to 1/2” smaller on each face. I started to run the freshly liberated faces through the table saw to reestablish fresh mitered edges to prepare f...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1268 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1290 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 371 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 312 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 162 entries
- stefang - 149 entries