It has taken me about 8 months but I finally have my Workshop setup with all the large machines I need, or wanted! The best part is I was able to pull it off while putting some extra cash in my pocket. You see this past November I thought I had everything necessary for the projects I wanted to do. It was pretty simple I wanted to make some small projects like cutting baords and some bigger projects like a Sofa Table or Greene & Greene Blanket Chest. What I quickly found out was my Shop...
Yesterday I took the leg blanks back to the jointer and the planer and got them down to a hair over 5” x 5”. One of them ended up a hair under. I found out during this process that the depth stop on the Makita planer does not handle anything 5 inches thick so it was a little tricky to try to get all 4 pieces exact. All that will be left to do on these is to hit them with a smooth plane to take off the plane tracks, which are barely even visible. It will also fix the “...
We continue on with the build and get our dados sorted out.
Assiniiboine Community College Woodworking course #12: Last class of Level 2 ...and probably for the rest of the year:-(
Well the course is over; I learned a lot and had a lot of fun. I suspect Ryan learned a lot about conducting a classroom and managing the administrative types at the College. I really enjoyed using all the tools and the great setup of their shop. Its given me a lot of ideas to incorporate into my shop, a bench, vise and mortising attachment for my drill press are all pretty high priorities now…just after getting the new tablesaw. I didn’t manage to finish my project yet but ...
I was reading my RSS feeds the other day and came across this article in Woodworking magazine. As soon as I saw it I knew that I had to make one for myself! I have a Bessey vise that I got for a few dollars at the Columbus Flea market here in NJ. You know the old saying, you get what you pay for? Well I did! Needless to say it still served some kind of purpose for me, I tuned it up and made the best of it.When I looked at the article in WW online zne I started to get excited and w...
When my darling wife allowed me to use our family room as my wood shop I needed to make a bench. living on a fixed income causes me to be very creative in acquiring tools and materials. I have posted about Freecycle before so I won’t rehash that again unless anyone has any specific questions. Anyway I did some dumpster diving and was able to get a few old solid wood doors, which I promptly took apart and made a down and dirty work bench. It was ugly and a bit wobbly but it served it&...
This could start as a tool gloat, and really should be, but will eventually become a project. Because I can’t seem to write briefly, succinctly, or other synonyms for short, I’ll just go with it. I’ve mentioned before that my father was the one who inspired me to woodworking. It was something he did to either save money, to make money with restored antiques, or to repair things around the house with a bit of flair thrown in for good measure. Over the years he collect...
I don’t know why but I have S&G stuck in my head, hence the title for this entry. I started milling the legs! After putting some epoxy on all 4 sides of each leg and then scraping most of it off with a carbide paint scraper, I started jointing the blanks for the legs. Here you can see one of the longer blanks with my two Home Depot push blocks (a.k.a. grout trowels) and my Harbor Freight infeed and Rigid outfeed set up. The Harbor Freight roller stand was only $14 but I have m...
I had taken the weekend off from the boards to regain my brain power for another week at work and time in the shop. I was wishful that the sawdust ferry had solved some of the problems with the cupping of the board but no luck. I took the boards to my somewhat trusty belt sander with 80 grit and began to bring down the cups and smooth out the glued up edges. I was concerned with the sander because it gouged that last boards I did and it took a considerable amount of time to fix them. I then ...
Well today is day 3, the halfway day again! It was a great day today, managed to fix the error I’d made last day by just swapping two pieces so I’m happy about that. I was concerned that my boards may have twisted between classes but the wood must be well and truly dry and acclimatized and I guess there was not too much stress in the boards so far so good. Managed to final dimension all of the pieces (about 12 of them) and just began figuring out the mortise and tenon joints o...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1658 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1683 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries