I quickly modified my Router Table Design to lower the top by 1.75”. I also provided for a tray in the base of the unit. Instead of having the bottom stretchers screw together outside the legs I made this design so that the stretcher from the front to the back goes inside the legs. That basically makes the sides for a box. All it needs is a piece of plywood to form the bottom of the base. The cut list is: The tool footprint on the tabletop is: Normally a tool this b...
Took some approximate measurements of the base and height of the table. Looks like about 14” wide by 16” deep. The height of the table isn’t an even number like I would have expected. It’s around 1-5/8”. Measured 1.726” using my digital calipers. I’m going with 1-3/4” as my height. Heck, my brick basement floor isn’t that level. I make a CAD file with each base. Looks like I can use the router table and subtract off 1....
My Delta Mortising Machine, the 14-651, arrived a couple of days ago. I got it into the house by myself using a furniture dolly. Waiting for my oldest son to come visit so I can get it into the basement shop. Plan on making a dedicated table similar to my Table Saw Table and Router Table. I like to make all of my tables so that the work surface is at the same height. That way the material handling equipment (read, rollers) doesn’t need to be adjusted between machines. The rollers I h...
I’ve added these entries not in order of how they were installed rather as I’ve had time. As soon as I decided to convert my old garage into a shop, space was top of the list. When looking at how best to deal with things I decided to go with a cyclone and Pen state is within driving distance and they offered free layout. The close distance really helped as like most projects of this type it required a few returns and exchanges as I changed routing of duct a bit. If anyone i...
Usable Logs… Well I was actually able to take the time this week and accomplish the goal I set for myself in last week’s blog. I wanted to cut down some of my own logs and make some usable wood from them. I am happy to say that it worked. I of course need to tweak the system a bit and experiment a bit more with some other thicknesses and woods but I am pretty happy with how things turned out. Rather then a jig I decided on once again using my jointer to give me some flat sides. Thru work I...
Nothing ground-breaking in this entry of this blog series. With the surfaces planed, I next turn to my jointer to joint one edge of each board. The following pictures are more less for your amusement as I set about jointing one edge of each board on a tiny 4 1/2” bench-top jointer. In the last photo you can see something I’m quite fond of – a new peg board Melissa helped me setup a few weeks back. I now have more or less all my measuring and marking tools organized in...
Laid out the pieces to get panels that will be the top and two sides of the cabinet / carcase, paying some attention to grain pattern as well as grain direction, to get pieces that would be visually appealing and that would (hopefully) smooth well at final finish. Here’s the walnut all laid out: I’m gluing up a total of four total panels – two walnut and two pine. Not rocket science – apply glue to both edges: Brush out, then squeeze. Walnuts were first, and one of those needed ...
Ever since I got my 8” Oliver Jointer I have wanted to replace the standard HSS knives witha Helical Carbide Cutter Head. My buddy at Jet said he would get me one at cost but that was going to be $341! Being forever “thrifty” or at least not liking to poor more than I need to for my toys, I have been looking everywhere for a bargain. I finally found one on eBay for a brand new Jet Helical head for only $215!!! Heck of a bargain. I finally got the cutter head today and it ...
Making some pretty boxes for my Nieces and Daughter. This one in under construction and redesign allot. The only part I like is the top I made.I wanted to try Parquetry and bought some selections of wood veneers and give it a shot. So this is where I am Mahogany sides, Ebony Frame and My picture of the favorite flowershe likes… Its almost done and it looks like this so far… So I will post a project for it when its done…
Finally getting some work started on this build. In this video I go over the design of the bench, lumber selection/layout, and I begin work on the top. I know my method for gluing the top would have been easier with a biscuit joiner, but since the one I have is a piece of junk, I go this route.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1695 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 92 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 69 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1720 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 403 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 287 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 232 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 204 entries
- robscastle - 196 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 191 entries
- Dave Rutan - 191 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries