I have finally started on the marimba. I am following the plans I got from makeamarimba.com. They are a good plans although some times you have to translate from oz to usa english. I did a lot of searching on line on commercial marimbas and settled on padauk for the keyboard and cherry for the frame. The preferred wood for concert keyboards is rosewood. I called my hardwood supplier to get a price on rosewood when I was able to breath again I decided padauk was a good keyboard wood (most...
Well, a coffee table needs legs right? In this one I make up the slabs for the legs of the coffee table. Lots of cutting and milling and work with the hand plane. In the end I have 2 nice blanks to be used for the legs of the table. I experimented with a new intro and outro and getting some different angles on some shots. I also kept it under 20 minutes. Makes more episodes I suppose. View on YouTube
I’ve been thinking I am going to do this blog but haven’t had just the “right” plane to document the process… until now. I know there are an abundance of these tutorials all over the internet so I don’t pretend to be breaking any new ground here. I just know we all find our own little tricks and tips so I thought I’d show y’all how I do it and hopefully, there’s a useful tidbit in here for someone. Here are some good articles from wkf...
Oh dear… What is he doing? Is this the second entry in a single week? Yes, yes it is :-) I got a couple of free hours last night so decided to sneak in a little bench work. I decided I was going to flatten the slab I glued up over the weekend. But wait, aren’t you supposed to wait until the bench is done to flatten it? Well, yes. And I didn’t completely flatten it, that will be when I finish the build. But, my thinking is that this is the bulk of my top. Once I di...
After lots of editing and cutting and experimenting with my editing software, I finally got part 2 done. Here I am getting the top roughed out some more and slowly bringing it into what I want. Hours and hours of work over several days. It does not seem like it when you watch a video. I have to point out that my power tools are not particularly quiet, I pull the volume back on those sections. I watch a lot of You Tube videos, and edit mine, using headphones, and getting your ears blasted...
I recently acquired a Bridgewood BW8J 8” Jointer and made a video on setup and tuning it up. You can watch the video here: How to Setup a Jointer
When I moved into a shared shop, I sold my 6” jointer (no love loss) because the shared shop had an 8”. Now that I am back in my own shop, I needed a new jointer. I REALLY wanted something larger than an 8”. I really, really hate ripping down a nice piece of wood just so I can make it flat (yes, I can do it by hand, and have many times). I love the idea of an old industrial jointer, but I didn’t want to screw around with 3ph power, or rebuilding a machine. I...
Started assembling the replacement cart for the jointer today. It went pretty well. I tried the technique of making a shallow saw kerf and then slicing it off to make a rabbet. This was the first time I’d tried that technique and it worked BEAUTIFULLY! I was super happy. Ive watched videos of people doing this and they always used 1/8” spacer bars to offset the piece. I just lined op the piece with the INSIDE of the blade, then used a cutoff as a spacer and made the kerf. Perfect....
This is announcing a new build series for a chisel cabinet, which I am also going to giving away to one lucky viewer! The build series of this cabinet will be located here:http://www.simplecove.com/guild/chisel-cabinet/A sign up form for the Simplecove.com Guild can be found at the same page To learn how to win this chisel cabinet, please go here:http://www.simplecove.com/giveaway/ Link to Sean’s You Tube channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmlRWK6jRFi2No_gDBDjwow As al...
Well, I finally had a chance to start tackling the jointer cleanup. luckily the in/out-feed tables were fairly clean and had only light rust. I took two passes with rust cleaner on both and then a light sand with WD-40 as “lubricant”. They cleaned right up and look good. The cutter head is a different story. It’s more rusted and harder to clean. I did the best I could with a wire brush and a green scrub pad. I’ll know later if I helped any in getting the old blades ou...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1808 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 129 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 114 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1833 entries
- dbhost - 441 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 321 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries