a few weeks ago i starting trying to build a project using mortise and tenon because its something I had never done before. Started by building the Tenoning Jig, and I was happy with the results. Frontside of Jig;Backside of Jig; I cut the mortise with forstner bits I just got for christmas. then the tenon on the new jig. after mitering the tenons i did my first test fit of a corner. This is my first exercise in mortise and tenon and its been alot of fun. I hope to get better...
It has been a bit of a bother to find time for woodworking. I found some today and managed to put in a few hours. Today was about fitting the sides of the lamps to the side edges. Although I got all the I made progress on both lamps but I only got one assembled up to this point. I am going very slow on this so I can enjoy what I’m making. For starters, I added one coat of tung oil before starting the glue up. The glue joints don’t have any tung oil on them so thery are good...
Well, after two power outages that caused the loss of the last two attempts, I think I’ve got this “save” thing down. We left off last time with a admonition to make a detailed plan of the proposed final project for which the board we are about to make will be used. The next step is to select the lumber with which to make the board. This is a major step. First the species is to be determined. MDF is out! As is plywood. Rose wood is nice and so is bird’s eye maple...
I also posted this in the Safety forum: •I often use my bare fingers around CA and will get it on my hands. This usually isn’t a big deal, however I recently let a good deal of it build up rapidly, and got a nice little burn. The burn was small, but the heat generated by the curing CA glue was very significant and extremely painful. I believe the heat caused the burn, and not a chemical reaction with my skin. The MSDS for CA glue also warns against using cotton gloves, as apparently CA wil...
We’ll it’s been a while since I updated my desk build blog. I had 40 mortises to square up on the legs, so I’ve taken the “15 minute” approach to this build. Whenever I had a little spare time I would knock out another mortise. With all of the mortises done, it was on to the tenons. I bought a Rockler heavy duty tenon jigs a while back, and tried it once with mixed results. Prior to that I have been using a home made jig for my router that holds pieces flat...
Rather arbitrarily I chose to make the side panels for the nightstand first. Actually it is only the second set of raised panels that I have done so I was kind of nervous and wanted to get them out of the way. For the rail and stiles I used “Sommerfeld’s Roundover Chip-Free Rail & Stile Set”. This rail & stile design eliminates chipping that is caused by a buildup of stress on the leading edges of the pattern. You can see in the pics below how the leading eadge i...
well i guess i shall start at the begining, i have a planed piece of maple 60mm wide 9mm thick and about 2ft long its best to work with larger pieces of timber so as not to cut your fingers off working with little fiddley bits so best to stay above 1 foot long.next i rebate a slot along the length of the piece to recieve the base the piece i have for the base is 3mm thich so i pass the side stock over the table saw which i have set to a depth of half the thickness of the side stock i do this ...
My wife hinted strongly the other day that a new set of adirondack chairs would be a nice addition to the back yard. Wood has a set of pretty easy plans in their most recent issue, so I picked up some 5/4 PT pine and have spent the weekend cutting all of the parts to size and then rounding over all of the parts that will get handled. In this case, that’s a pretty significant pile of pine, about 50-60 parts for the pair of chairs. I Might have enough wood for another chair, but honestly...
As a reminder, I am making an Art and Craft style clock based on one at The Grove Park Inn for my eldest daughter’s upcoming wedding. See post #2 for the goal. I’ve decided to make the back frame and panel assembly first. A little sharpening is order before I get started. Next I planed the stiles flat and square with my Lie-Nielsen #7. Then I just couldn’t handle the suspense anymore and had to lay out the panels and rails to see how it was going to look. This allowed ...
In saving space, making one piece out of two functions will be a nice way of making tailored furnitures. There are lots of variation, a two piece sets and some are built separately and screwed together. This project started after I built the Agnes’ shelve blogged on first part. The design came in due to the need of storing hutch and a display shelve. There are some challenges such as. 1. The design requirementsI have a very limited space… 40 inches width x 6 1/2 ft high. T...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1780 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Toy costruction - 104 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1805 entries
- dbhost - 432 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 307 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 233 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- Dave Rutan - 221 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 203 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries