Quartersawn oak blanks are cut to 14” long and 1 5/8” thick. The upper crest rails are 3” wide and the lower rails are 2 ½” wide. I chose to construct the chair with floating tenons so that I could mill and cut all of the rails to the exact same length. A bench-top mortising machine is used to make the mortises for the upper and lower crest rails. The 3/8” chisel is set exactly parallel to the machine’s fence, then an auxiliary fence is installed and shimmed to the proper angle required. Sto...
I recently finished building a federal style card table loosely patterned after the plan in FWW issue #59, “Federal Card Table” by Michael Dunbar. That table in turn is based on a piece from the period, thought to be from Baltimore. I still consider myself a newbie, and was shocked at how well the finished table came out! Now I’m going to make a second table with a few improvements. If you’d like to follow along I can promise you that we will take an interesting and unconve...
This is from another blog site of mine from a project from last year, but it seems so appropriate here I thought I’d port it over. I’m working on a set of shelves for Caitlin, making them out of 3/4” red oak plywood, blah blah blah. The end result, when done, will be a second set of shelves to mirror the set on the other side of the fireplace. So the plywood is ripped, banded, and ready for final cutting, then assembly. And this is where the procrastination kicks in....
I’ve finally took the plunge to hand cutting dovetails. I used scrap 2×4 blocks to work on. The 1st joint’s tail is a bit oversized, but I think joints 2 and 3 worked out fairly well. The satisfaction of having a dovetail joint slip together with a snap is just awesome. Joint 2 went together the easiest and fastest. My goal is to have 10 good dovetails made on scraps before I start building storage chests. Joint 1 was purposely cut undersized so I could use a rasp...
It has been a bit of a bother to find time for woodworking. I found some today and managed to put in a few hours. Today was about fitting the sides of the lamps to the side edges. Although I got all the I made progress on both lamps but I only got one assembled up to this point. I am going very slow on this so I can enjoy what I’m making. For starters, I added one coat of tung oil before starting the glue up. The glue joints don’t have any tung oil on them so thery are good...
Now for the rest of the photos of the work performed so far on my introductory woodworking project. After cutting all the pieces to size, the next step was to mortise the legs. We used a router table with a couple stop-blocks set to control the length of the mortises. (If you look closely, you can see that the stop-blocks use our instructor’s patented Micro-Adjustable Depth Control System™ – he sells them for $30/set. What a deal!) Here are the legs after mortising. In...
Refers to project posted here. I used the Kreg screw system for most of the joinery on this project. This is my second major project (first one here) using this system and I have found them to be very strong. It’s also very quick to join pieces with this system which helped me do this project in only 4 days exclusive of some of the finishing. This was also my first time using the Kreg plugs which I’ve started a forum topic on here. I always get to the end of the build an...
I’m re-building a glass display case for a model of the USS Constitution. The top of the case is being a bit of a challenge, but I think I’m on top of it. Currently, I’m working on trying to get the new top to fit together using miter joints. So after I cut my miters, and reading the forum postings about trying to get a better miter cut, I realized I have a store-bought device to help cut miters (of any angle) with a circular saw. The thing was bought probably over 10 ...
in my last session, I completed the carcase. I double checked my final dimensions against the drawer prototype to make sure nothing is off..So I started with this.The steps in today’s session were:1. Prepare maple stock by resawing and cutting to final dimensions2. Set up and test incra jig to make through dovetail joints3. Cut thru dovetail joints using incra jib4. Cut stopped dados for drawer bottom and DVD partitions5. Glue up drawers and clean up joints.And ended with a group ...
I haven’t done one of these in a while. The build was a bit excruciating. Took 6 days, about 10-12 hrs. per day. Started on the Thurs. before Thanksgiving. That was an easy day. I just ran around getting all of the materials together and did some initial layout work and rough cut the plywood sides. These were full height and were too awkward to move around, so I used a straight edge and my new PC 8902 router to get the edges of the plywood ready for the face frames. Once the first side ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1042 parts
- Extremely Average - 325 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 85 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Just for Fun... - 72 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 64 parts
- 52 Weeks - 52 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1064 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 384 entries
- Ecocandle - 326 entries
- dbhost - 318 entries
- Martin Sojka - 294 entries
- Karson - 288 entries
- MsDebbieP - 283 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- William - 213 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Stevinmarin - 197 entries
- mafe - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 182 entries
- Rustic - 182 entries
- PurpLev - 159 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 146 entries
- scottb - 144 entries
- kosta - 144 entries