Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do. I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was...
It’s been a while since my last woodworking project, so I’m easing back into the groove with a new file cabinet. I have a piece of junk tin cabinet in my home office that squeaks every time I open and close it. I did some serving trays in Cherry, and really liked working with it, so my new file cabinet will be Cherry. I found a photo online and liked the style so I sketched it up in Sketchup and AutoCAD. The legs are 1 3/4” x 1 3/4” and the rest of the frame is 1&...
and panel raisin’ Got the Pine panel out of the clamps. Hand planed to as flat as I could get in. Time to raise a panel. Same way as the side panels. Mark out a “stop line” about 1” in from the edge. Take a #4 sized handplane, set it a bit deep. Go at a diagonal to the grain. Plane until you reach the stop line, check the remainder of the edge for straightness. As you get close to the finish line, back off the depth of cut. I do the end grain ...
The 8th video in a series about building a Allan Little designed work table with a multifunctional top. In this video, I laminate and drill the holes in the top. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BErFepHO9C4&list=UUd5zJvEvBsWALUYaChpNX8Q&feature=share
This is the first entry in this series, but I’m already halfway into the White Oak version of my Rockler Adirondack chair. I’m also building a Western Red Cedar version, but haven’t started dimensioning the boards yet. I’m starting the blog at this point in the project, because 1. I wasn’t a member of LJ before starting the project and 2. I need to get my thoughts down about what I’ve learned so far, because this is really my first TRUE hardwood project...
I also posted this in the Safety forum: •I often use my bare fingers around CA and will get it on my hands. This usually isn’t a big deal, however I recently let a good deal of it build up rapidly, and got a nice little burn. The burn was small, but the heat generated by the curing CA glue was very significant and extremely painful. I believe the heat caused the burn, and not a chemical reaction with my skin. The MSDS for CA glue also warns against using cotton gloves, as apparently CA wil...
Small workbench based on shipbuilt's Short Block V8 (Workbench Challange) #1: Concept and leg assembly
ConceptI have been needing a proper workbench for a while. The top of my table saw and fold up extension have been the only spot to use. I would love to have a large proper workbench but my shop is just too small for a full size bench. I have been looking at benches in Lumberjocks and marking some for reference. shipwright had come up with some excellent ideas. His concept for the Short Block V8 is a low cost way for a beginner to get a strong, stable small workbench using tools that many b...
well i guess i shall start at the begining, i have a planed piece of maple 60mm wide 9mm thick and about 2ft long its best to work with larger pieces of timber so as not to cut your fingers off working with little fiddley bits so best to stay above 1 foot long.next i rebate a slot along the length of the piece to recieve the base the piece i have for the base is 3mm thich so i pass the side stock over the table saw which i have set to a depth of half the thickness of the side stock i do this ...
So far, in my woodworking “career”, I’ve made 4 benches. It’s a simple design that I came up with that uses yellow pine 2×4s for all the pieces. The 1st bench I put together was … bulky. The final design, which I’m very happy with, I think of as the Mk III; doubled 2×4s for the legs with a shoulder for the bench to rest on, 1/2” slats suppored by braces in the middle, all held together with Miller dowels. The Mk I was all single pieces...
It has been a bit of a bother to find time for woodworking. I found some today and managed to put in a few hours. Today was about fitting the sides of the lamps to the side edges. Although I got all the I made progress on both lamps but I only got one assembled up to this point. I am going very slow on this so I can enjoy what I’m making. For starters, I added one coat of tung oil before starting the glue up. The glue joints don’t have any tung oil on them so thery are good...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1659 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1684 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 400 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 281 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 229 entries
- Betsy - 225 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- stefang - 206 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 200 entries
- robscastle - 189 entries
- Rustic - 189 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 188 entries
- Chris Davis - 184 entries