Sisters table has broken legs. It is a shame really as it is pretty old table and still pretty good nick. After looking at it best we can do is glue and the try and brace the base a bit more. Now big sis wants to sand whole table back and redo just to spruce up. Now we all love wood, but her house has heaps of natural wood showing and with the table, it actually becomes to much so she is thinking of … eeeek painting it. (shock horror I know, but I actually on this occasion agree with her, ...
It has been a bit of a bother to find time for woodworking. I found some today and managed to put in a few hours. Today was about fitting the sides of the lamps to the side edges. Although I got all the I made progress on both lamps but I only got one assembled up to this point. I am going very slow on this so I can enjoy what I’m making. For starters, I added one coat of tung oil before starting the glue up. The glue joints don’t have any tung oil on them so thery are good...
Over the last couple of days before and after work I have had an assembly line of sorts going on in the shop for the glue up of the side, top and bottom panels of the cabinet case. I am up to 3 done and one more in clamps as we speak. As each one came out of the clamps and a new one went in I went about cleaning up and flattening the faces with a myriad of hand planes and my scraper. I purposely made each panel slightly oversized just in case I needed to rip a glue joint and re-joi...
Like many jocks out there, I’m in the process of building a new workbench. It will be pretty close to the Roubo that Chris Schwarz built, but sadly, my top will not be made out of pretty (if punky) cherry. No, I was fortunate(?) to have a supply of very thick red oak planks to work with. The top is made up of 3 pieces at 7.5” wide by 4” thick by 7’ long. It’s a beast! The legs are from the same stock, trimmed to 3”x5”. I’ve finished cutt...
It came in the mail the other day, so I contacted Terry Desilets of CUSTOM BRANDING IRONS. I decided to order a custom design, instead of the stock. Terry was very helpful in helping me design my brand. He’s seems like a very good person to do business with. I sent him my signature, & he made a couple of design layouts of for me to choose from. I chose the design I liked the best, & sent my order in. He said I should receive it in a couple of weeks. SO NO...
I have been busy working and my daughter has ben busy with school, so we haven’t had much time to spend on this. We have made some progress though. A little each week. She has cut and shapeed the handles with the router. Finished all the doors. She sprayed the whole thing down with strong tea to add tannins to the pine. We used this ammonia. We sealed it in the shower with the ammoina overnight. We pulled it out and looked at it. I was pleased. ...
Because woodworking is a hobby, I only get an hour or two a night (at most) in the shop on weekdays, and I travel a fair bit, so sometimes progress is a bit slow. Tonight I did a fair amount of cleaning in the shop (the spray of wood chips from flattening the boards went everywhere). The most important task was setting up the crosscut. As you can probably tell, I feel like this is the single most important task of the entire project, so I am taking it slowly. Tonight I drew the line to ...
Just thought I’d give y’all an update since my first disaster. I chose to forgo the dull chisel this time and just went with the hacksaw, vise, and pencil. This time was much better as far as fit, but still pretty fugly. I’d give it a 4.5/10 as opposed to a 1/10 I would have given my last adventure. Here are some action shots. Cutting new tails (notice the first ones I did on the opposite end). Now the pins with my new and improved #2 marking device. Why didn’...
Here is the drawing I submitted. Just a preliminary drawing, but we will nail down some more details this coming week and will start building the following week. From Yala, Hakim and Michelle
So i finally got some work done today on my box. first i started by making the bottom. because i am using thick material for the sides i wanted to add some rigidness to the box so it is a 1/2” thick poplar bottom and i did the bevel with a hand plane. rather than set up machinery or anything. then it was time to focus on the dividers. these are hard because they are very thin stock and to get them good they have to fit right. so what i did was cut them and did almost what resembl...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1392 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1416 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 229 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 194 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- shipwright - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 170 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 167 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries