hey everyone, over the last couple of days i have been able to get a lot done in terms of milling up the lumber and gluing up panels. i chose sycamore for the trash box because it is a hard wood as opposed to the pine that i was going to use before. there was a sale at the lumberyard on sycamore and it was less per bf than a select 1 board of pine. so the purchase made sense. first i got my lumber and let it sit for awhile and then milled it up. the first picture is of a rough board and ...
Yesterday and a little bit this morning was spent jointing and fitting the front, back and drawer dividers. I now have a complete carcase. Drawer dividers in and fit. Front and back installed and fit. I need more practice on my mortises but they got better as things progressed. Should be fairly easy to cover the mistakes. On to the lid and drawers.
The last blog was about joining the sides on the top and now this one is about joining them from the bottom. This part is going to be a little more tricky. This is my first indication that I’m actually building the beginning of what will be a giant puzzle when it comes to glue up time......If you’ve read the blogs before this one, you’ll remember that I made a triple mortise and a double mortise on each of the legs. If you don’t remember or didn’t see the blog, t...
After a few weeks away due to travel and rainy weather, I was finally able to finish the table. The formula I was following was similar to what I used on an earlier folding step stool water based Transtint dye, sprayed shellac, and then as this was a table, Arm-R-Seal oil & urethane topcoat. I started with the dye, first wetting everything to raise grain, and then light sanding with 220 to knock down the stander uppers. I then mixed the Transtint Mission Brown dye power with distiller...
When my darling wife allowed me to use our family room as my wood shop I needed to make a bench. living on a fixed income causes me to be very creative in acquiring tools and materials. I have posted about Freecycle before so I won’t rehash that again unless anyone has any specific questions. Anyway I did some dumpster diving and was able to get a few old solid wood doors, which I promptly took apart and made a down and dirty work bench. It was ugly and a bit wobbly but it served it&...
Yesterday I picked up a 1 – 1/4” forester bit and a 3/8” x 10” long brad point bit at Woodcraft. The forstner bit is for drilling the hole through the chop and leg for the leg vise. The bit is too short to make it all of the way through the leg so I also need to get a forstner bit extension. The 3/8” bit is for the pins that hang the Criss-Cross on the chop and leg. The chop is 9” wide so this was barely able to make it through. I didn’t want to hassl...
Recently Big Al, i.e. “Boxguy” posted a jig he had built for cutting accurate mitre joints. I built one this afternoon, and thought I would share my attempt at making the same jig. Total cost for the jig was around $17.00 – - the all in one clamp. The time was 2 1/2 hours. MDF remnants, left over material from other projects, and junk drawer parts finished it to this point. Still have to finish up the stop system, but was anxious to use it today, so will add the stop tom...
Hi everybody, I have finished the flute now and I am very happy with how it has turned out. I was quite concerned about getting the finger holes correct and had some help from Charlie Mato-Toyela who spent about 90’ on the phone from the USA to Australia to help me get the pitch and the tuning correct, Charlie is a indeed wonderful person. His Youtube page is Blue Bear Flutes which I would thoroughly recommend to anyone who is contemplating making one of these lovely instrument...
Today was a light day for me as I’m running out of things I can do until I get more wood, so today I cut out the side profile of the chop. I had this piece of thin ply laying around so I ripped it down to size and put my alignment marks on it, then drew the shoulder using a french curve template. Using the centerline I was able to do both sides. I clamped it on edge and sanded the template profile smooth then traced both sides on the chop. I cut a bunch ...
Many excellent woodworking videos. I stumbled on this link for this site on Reddit.com, from a posted link on creating a solar furnace from coke cans (that garage gets cold in the winter). Once I found the tool stuff, this is the first video that caught my eye: Cutting Inlayed Dovetails using the Leigh D4, by Al Navas I have a D4, but haven’t tried doing anything fancy yet, but maybe at lunchtime…. The tutorial is three videos. I also noticed David Marks and Wood Wh...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1766 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 109 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Toy costruction - 93 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1791 entries
- dbhost - 430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 252 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 226 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Dave Rutan - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 198 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries