”Dreams are made possible if you try.” …Terry Fox This episode is part of the Let's Build Series Woodworking Tips and Techniques: 1.) Using blue adhesive tape to aid the gluing process.2.) Using Ulmia spring clamps for assembly and fitting of miter joints.3.) Cutting perfect miter joints on the table saw using the Dedicated Miter Sled. In Part 3 we are back in the woodworking shop as we continue our build of the Koa wood veneer jewelry box. We have previously fit the comp...
This is not a brand new project. I submitted it, because of a request by MsDebbieP for the CS1 Kitchen challenge. I was out in the shop one day, & thought to myself, what can I make? I said, how about making a recipe holder easel for Barb’s kitchen. So I dug out some pieces of wood from my scrap bin, & proceeded with the project. I didn’t have a plan, but I knew what I wanted it to look like, so the first thing I made was the main spindle post. Then I ma...
The Splined Mitre Joint is a decorative yet very strong joint. The addition of the spline and glue makes a regular mitre joint all the more stronger while aiding in keeping the mitre nice and tight. By using a contrasting wood the woodworker can achieve a very distinctive appearance at the joint. This woodworking video tutorial shows how the spline mitre joint is made using a woodworking jig on the tablesaw. For more information.visit…www.TheApprenticeandTheJourneyman.com.........
The common wisdom to flatten raw stock, is to first plane a face flat on a jointer. To get to opposite face paralleled and flat, you run that newly flattened side face down in a planer to your desired thickness. Sounds familiar, I’m sure. Hard to do that with 8” stock when you have a 6” jointer though. The common wisdom also states that if you just try to run that raw stock through a planer, flipping it each time until you get it flat on both sides, you’ll end up wi...
Here is how I made my Intersected cutting board posted here. There seems to be a lot of interest in this board so here is a blog on how I made it. First of all here’s what I planned on making. It’s the top one. After I got both the circles intersected I liked how it looked with the rounded corners so I just added in the “wedge shapes”at the top and bottom and called it done. I think that it makes it very distinctive also. As one person guessed I ...
As promised, here’s the final outcome of Roy Underhill’s Mystery Mallet. As you can see, I shaped the handle a little differently than they showed in the magazine. I like the squared-off handle better. I also stained the head one color and then applied several coats of tung oil to the whole thing. Thanks, again, to venues like LJ, Roy Underhill, and the folks over at Popular Woodworking. My woodworking is better because of you all.
Hello Friends, I’m long overdue for an update so there are a lot of pictures. I’ve made quite a bit of progress but the ending is not so happy I’m afraid, after reassembling the parts last night I discovered an error I will have to fix. The great thing about woodworking is that almost anything is fixable, it’s just frustrating. You’ll see what I mean at the end. As usual, I’ll let the pictures do most of the explaining: Cut the shoulders on the angled te...
Finally, the tail vise. Back in the design stages of the bench, I looked at all the various ways people hold wood. I knew at the time where this bench would end up for a good portion of its life so I made decisions based on that. I toyed with a couple of things, a tool trough (I think this is a good idea however only if you can walk all around your bench and not so deep, an inch would suffice), an end vise, the swing out arm vise (I am sure there is another name for this). In the end I settle...
I just wanted to update on the status of the class and inform every one of the delay. For those of you that do not know, I had a misfortunate (stupid?) accident and broke a bone in my right hand a couple of weeks ago. I was hoping that I had progressed far enough beforehand that it would not affect the class. Unfortunately the bones are not healing correctly and it is taking longer for ir it to heal. I tried again tonight, but do not have enough dexterity or hand strength to sand while I...
Found out the trex clamps I talked about in my last version (http://lumberjocks.com/TZH/blog/24588) weren’t strong enough to withstand the pressure exerted by the bolt going through, plus didn’t hold the sled rigidly enough (too much diagonal movement). So, back to the drawing board. Figured a clamp should function like a clamp no matter what the design is, so I used 2×4’s for the stationary clamp (first photo) and 2×2’s (oak – second photo) for the mov...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1524 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1549 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries