Ive had an experience here at lumber jocks that has caused me to think on this topic today. early this morning i awoke ..it was around 4am…so i went to read my email and catch up with that. I had a private message sent to me, it was entitled apology. This of coarse caught my attention, so i opened it to read and by the time i was done i felt several emotions…one of them was ashamed, the reason being is as i have gone through my life, being a good friend or as we call them here a g...
My First Real Attempt at a project. A shaker end Table #4: The Table Tops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the first of the two table tops that I have to do. I used a tounge and grove joint and have the first one in the clamps. The first table top. The next table top layed out to show joints. The toungs on the center board. I thought it would look better if the center board had the tounges only. The grove of the left table edges. The right is the exact same thing, just with it on the other side.
Hello one and all of the woodworking world. Here is my final roundup of ideas, lessons and shavings so I can finally put some of my Disstons in a nice comfy home to showcase and enjoy. Pic 1: With my chip carvings added I used a counterbore bit I got from my tool chest auction find….awesome find check it out http://lumberjocks.com/jjw5858/blog/29741 then preceeded to brace in the counter holes. Pic 2-3: To achieve the same drill holes for both sides I simply faced the pieces toget...
Now that I have finished the CHEVALET I need desperately to get the work bench done so here are my questions and thoughts. I have glued up half of the top and made two of the stretchers then the question came up do I use “Bench Bolts” or just use “mortise & tenons”? If the bench does not come apart why use bolts? “Exposed Wedged Through Tenons” if done correctly will do the same job at no cost where bench bolts are about $20.00 for a set of four and if you have them on the rails and stre...
I mentioned in my first post how disapointed I was in the plans I purchased for the nightstand. Well, right away I recieved a PM from Darrell Pert, woodworker, author, and creater of the Aurora design. He offered help and sent photos that got me past a sticking point. This is a great community, and you never know who might be reading! To finish the assembly of the nightstand draw, I needed to make a sliding dovetail to attach the draw back to the draw sides. I really have been happy wi...
My router keeps trying to kill me. I don’t know if it’s my fault, or the router’s. It’s a very old Craftsman 315.25070, and every time I attempt anything with it, it either throws a bit at my head, or buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurns. It’s only a 1/4” chuck….I’m starting to think I am biting off -literally-more than I can chew. I wish I’d figured that out prior to chewing a template to pieces. Can anyone recommend a good starter wood. All I ...
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. I spent today doing the tedious work of smoothing out all the dovetails. I used the 1” chisel, mallet, and the new Moxon mini-bench to make all the dovetails as tight as I could get them. There are still plenty of gap...
Building a Ditty Box--first project for my nephew #3: Mortising the old fashioned way and a first panel glue-up
We’ve continue on in the project. After crosscutting his first board by hand—getting him comfortable with hand sawing—He did a some rough crosscuts on the miter saw and some finer ones with the crosscut sled on the table saw. Here is his first cut on the miter saw. His commitment to doing the cuts safely is really comforting. The box has a small divided shelf held in place by mortises in the box. We’re doing them the old-fashioned way so he can learn to use ch...
Here is where those seasoned veterans of the Festool Domino can point and laugh at some rookie mistakes. I am making a new cabinet to house my air compressor because the dawgone thing is soooo loud. So I thought it would be a great project to put my new Domino through some paces. As I was trying to understand some things on this machine I plunged into the face of some scrap 3/4” plywood I would be using to make the carcass. Well I created a through Domino, so back to the instruction...
Hi All, I posted some details and pics of my workshop today as well as some projects. I completed my first project recently – a headbaord for our guest bedroom. I’ve made some picture frames and working on a more ‘deluxe’ picture frame now. I’m going to need to jump in and look for some answers soon, the questions are starting to pile up!.
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1727 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 98 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1752 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- dbhost - 410 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- robscastle - 207 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Dave Rutan - 205 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- Rustic - 190 entries