I’m re-building a glass display case for a model of the USS Constitution. The top of the case is being a bit of a challenge, but I think I’m on top of it. Currently, I’m working on trying to get the new top to fit together using miter joints. So after I cut my miters, and reading the forum postings about trying to get a better miter cut, I realized I have a store-bought device to help cut miters (of any angle) with a circular saw. The thing was bought probably over 10 ...
Back in the shop this morning to start glue-ups. This was pretty simple as I had dry fit the day prior. I realized that the old saw is true…you can never have enough clamps—and I don’t. It was also somewhat difficult to put it all together by myself due to the size of the unit and the small space available in my shop. Used standard white wood glue and a few finish nails as insurance. Finally, I used wood putty to close up any small gaps and nail holes. Overall, I’...
I do a lot of volunteering for our local High School Marching Band. The theme of our 2012 show is “Samurai, The Way Of The Warrior” Last spring it was decided we really needed some traditional Japanese Taiko Drums to really make the effect. Taiko Drums typically cost thousands of dollars each. So, some of our parents started doing some research http://www.stanford.edu/group/stanfordtaiko/manual/index.html and we built them ourselves (only hundreds each now). Here is a ...
I have been busy working and my daughter has ben busy with school, so we haven’t had much time to spend on this. We have made some progress though. A little each week. She has cut and shapeed the handles with the router. Finished all the doors. She sprayed the whole thing down with strong tea to add tannins to the pine. We used this ammonia. We sealed it in the shower with the ammoina overnight. We pulled it out and looked at it. I was pleased. ...
Note to my readers—-this is the secret project I’ve mentioned a few times. It has consumed my shop time since February. That’s why it’s been so slow on the blog for the last few months. Now that it has been delivered, I can post the details. Oh yeah, this post actually is the result of 6 days in the workshop—-some didn’t have pictures and I didn’t want to bore you with just text, so I put it all together under the title of The Lid. At last, w...
Well, after two power outages that caused the loss of the last two attempts, I think I’ve got this “save” thing down. We left off last time with a admonition to make a detailed plan of the proposed final project for which the board we are about to make will be used. The next step is to select the lumber with which to make the board. This is a major step. First the species is to be determined. MDF is out! As is plywood. Rose wood is nice and so is bird’s eye maple...
I guess that is the word for this tool-foolery in the shop today… Sat the base unit onto the floor, needed a few things off of it Needed one leg. That way I could do a bit of layout. Marked where a dovetail was going to go. Clamped the top rail into the vise, marked a few lines, and grabbed a dovetail saw. Seems I needed both of the Gents saws I have, as this one is for rip cuts, the other works as a cross cut.Needed a chisel to get rid of the waste. This time, that ma...
So, now I’ve got the bulk of the work done on the case. Where I left off in my last blog I had cut the sides and glued the top together. Now, I got the top down to the right size. This was a little tricky because I wanted to keep the joint pretty much right in the middle of the panel. Once it was to size it was time to route a cove along the edges so I could fit them into the slots I cut into the sides. I used a cove cutting bit that I filed the guide bearing post off of so I wil...
Maybe this blog can help some newbies. Experienced woodworkers and those with good training (not me) know that you should cut the mortises and tenons while the stock is still rectangular. Since I didn’t remember this until after cutting some parts for a toy baby cradle to their curved shape, I had to find solutions to problems encountered when cutting some mortises and tenons. The first problem surfaced as I was cutting the tenons on an upper rails for the head board and foot boards....
well i had some really good shop time today and got alot done. a lot of pictures so i will try to keep text to a minimum. as always first i started off cutting the board to manageable pieces. then milled them 1/8” heavy and let them do their moving and took them down to final size when i needed them. then i needed to glue up the panel for the top and here i am doing a dry glue up to get everything ready. after the glue up was done and the glue dried i took the panel out. flus...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1600 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1625 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 279 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries