I recently finished building a federal style card table loosely patterned after the plan in FWW issue #59, “Federal Card Table” by Michael Dunbar. That table in turn is based on a piece from the period, thought to be from Baltimore. I still consider myself a newbie, and was shocked at how well the finished table came out! Now I’m going to make a second table with a few improvements. If you’d like to follow along I can promise you that we will take an interesting and unconve...
They say that there’s nothing like practise to make you better at a skill. My cousin’s wedding is in June, and I decided in my new wood working glory to make a wedding present for them. After consulting my wife, we decided that building a clock would be a nice gift. So I spent some time searching the project archive here on LJ’s, and around the web. Saving pictures to the hard drive so that I could go back and forth to choose without having to bookmark the various pages t...
Well, Good weather, good time to get finished up on some more. I mated the extension table to the saw top today. I used 3/8×4” lag screws on the mating edge itself. Added 3” deck screws through the angle iron and into the top. Very nice and flat with a good seam. OK, time to get the fence mocked up. I took the T part of the fence and threaded in some nylon set screws, these can be used to square the fence and make sure it is perpendicular also. I can see me ne...
Ive had an experience here at lumber jocks that has caused me to think on this topic today. early this morning i awoke ..it was around 4am…so i went to read my email and catch up with that. I had a private message sent to me, it was entitled apology. This of coarse caught my attention, so i opened it to read and by the time i was done i felt several emotions…one of them was ashamed, the reason being is as i have gone through my life, being a good friend or as we call them here a g...
Once again.. were building.. I made the face frame and the door frames… Face frame was pretty straight forward. I measured, laid out the feet and then cut them out…. > Then I clamped them out and marked out the tenon’s and cut the mortises… Here is a test fit… > Kay, Frame done I pretty much did them same.. cutting out the Bottom doors the Tops of the Upper doors are arched SO I thought I would explain them in detail… First I made a Temp...
Finally got a chance to use the Stanley No. 8 I posted a blog entry about a few days ago. Gotta say it’s pretty sweet. I’m sure there are others that may be able to tune it to a finer degree, but when I remember the frustration of the first time I ever tried to use a hand plane it feels really good. And what a huge difference sharpening makes!! Today I was using it to even out the glue ups on my new workbench legs. I took a couple of photos to share. From Sawdust From Sawdu...
Here is part two of my attempt at installing a new shop door. I again bought a cheap door and I am doing my best to reinforce the door and jamb from possibly being kicked in. I know this isn’t the most professional job, but I should only have about $150.00 into this project. The new door looks twice as good and is much more secure. In order to reinforce the jamb I first upgraded the strike plate which I showed in blog part 1. http://lumberjocks.com/559dustdesigns/blog/14664Today I f...
Between my being a carpenter in today’s Michigan economy (lots of idle time) and my desire to learn more about finishing, I stopped by a local furniture refinishing/restoration shop a couple of weeks ago to see if I could pick up a non-paying apprenticeship just to pick up some knowledge and get some hands on experience. Of course I didn’t just walk in and say “are you guys looking for an apprentice?”. I asked if they were hiring and an employee told me “no”...
We recently purchased a new washer, & dryer, & we didn’t want to spend $400 for the factory pedestals, so I’m making my own. They should cost us about $75 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This is the factory made pedestal~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The front load machines are kind of low without a pedestal. It makes it kind of tough on the back muscles.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
Got to spend quite a bit of time the shop this weekend and made a bit a progress on both of the pending projects. The Woodworkers Fighting Cancer Table Build Over the weekend I managed to get the aprons for the table cut, and the tennons made. Following the advise of The Wood Whisperer I custome fit each tennon to its respective mortise. Did a dry assembly, and finally got the carcass of the table glued up (in two stages). I will have to do a little “evening” w...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1407 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 86 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1431 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 195 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- shipwright - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 174 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries