Currently ongoing construction is a jewelry box but big enought to be called as armoire. I have done it in 3 sectors: the foot, the lower drawers, and the top drawers. THE FOOTThe first difficulty is to decide whether I can make a short cabriole leg for the front. That was a long process due Narra that I have is medium hard. Additionally, I dont have bandsaw and I have to use jigsaw. I bought 4 inch jigsaw blade. It was not a perfect one but it was okay. The secret chamber will also...
Well I got the eight 10 footers done, now have to make the four 4 footers. Got the rest of the Red Cedar cut and milled too. This little project has set me back $175 for the Western Cedar, on sale at that, and $30 for the Stainless Steel Screws so far. Good thing I didn’t do a cost analysis first. It just kinda amazes me that I dropped 200 bucks on something this simple, hope it works and lasts. If nothing else it will look better and make it easier to tend the gardens so at least it ha...
I had a great and satisfying day. One box I wasnt totaly pleased with I left in my shop so I saw it everytime I entered so I could assess what I wanted to do with it and I finaly end up taking a hammer and knocking the feet off it and now Im super pleased with it! Go’s to show design can come in wierd ways!I also fixed two problem drawers on one of my cabinets which In turn led to some new tricks I have for fitting my drawers!All of this just getting ready for my craft show this weekend...
Well I’m still at it, woodworking that is. Although I find myself building more utilitarian type projects lately then anything else. Like this one. I have two 4’ x 20’ raised gardens and keeping the varmints out has always been a challenge. Short of using buckshot which is frowned upon within city limits. So years past I’ve been getting a 50’ roll of chicken wire and wrapping it around each raised garden. It works for the most part but once installed makes it a b...
It was so much fun gluing the frame of the bench together (!#$%^&* *&^%$#) = need more clamps , I forgot to take pictures.I like how it’s shaping up though.This is after glue-up, before finish:To glue up, I wiped all mating surfaces (including the dowel holes), with acetone. I used TiteBond III; hope it goes well.To finish, I sanded down to 220 grit, wiped clean. I then wiped with acetone, and applied Penofin. I had to take it outside to see how it looks in its future ‘...
I set aside the me I decided to use some scraps of Ipé from the deck that was built a couple years ago to finally build that bench, to sit on top of said deck. Here is a sketchup snapshot of part of the design; And a few of work in progress. I cut the butt-swoop in the top of the ‘ribs’ on the bandsaw. I cut the dadoes in the rail to fit the seat supports w/a router, then drilled holes for walnut dowels.I tried use the best SS screws I had, but the 1st one snapped, and ...
Threaded insert jig – HOW TO MAKEHow to get the dam thing straight in!Ok, not a big problem, but a problem! Here are the challange. Idea! A jig so I can control the angel is 90 degree.Solution a pice of scrap wood, some thread in a ‘nice’ size, and ofcourse the same thread as the inserts inside.Draw up a hole that fits, the hight of the threathet insert and some extra for a nut. Some cutting at the tablesaw. Some more cutting, this could be done with a chiselR...
That is the title of a book I read awhile back. Basically it teaches that one should enjoy the work which is done. If you truly enjoy it, then the work isn’t as hard. My DW and I have decided to start making and selling cutting boards at craft shows. We’re dividing up the labor, I’m handling the crafting, she’ll handle the booth work. My plan is that this will be one aspect of working for ourselves to bring in more money , ther other being my photo studio work. Now ...
I have decided to build my own guitar. It’s something I have wanted to do for a long time and I hope to eventually turn it into a FT hobby someday.. So I finally took that first step this week. I got plans from Chris over at http://www.eguitarplans.com he draws up some really good plans. The body is going to be a 2 piece Solid Mahogany body. I started by cutting the two sides to length about 19” for this guitar so that I had a little extra to play with. Glue U...
Having thoroughly enjoyed making the Little Bess Ring Box, the smallest project I’ve ever made in boxes, I have decided to go to the other end of the scale. I’ve always hankered after a Drum Sander but could never afford the £500+ price tag. I idly tapped ‘drum sander’ into the search box and found that not only was I not alone in not being able to afford one but that there was a solution. Build you own. There are numerous ideas out there but the soundest seems to be ...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1428 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 92 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1452 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 230 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 197 entries
- shipwright - 192 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- stefang - 179 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 169 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries