Finally got a chance to use the Stanley No. 8 I posted a blog entry about a few days ago. Gotta say it’s pretty sweet. I’m sure there are others that may be able to tune it to a finer degree, but when I remember the frustration of the first time I ever tried to use a hand plane it feels really good. And what a huge difference sharpening makes!! Today I was using it to even out the glue ups on my new workbench legs. I took a couple of photos to share. From Sawdust From Sawdu...
Here is part two of my attempt at installing a new shop door. I again bought a cheap door and I am doing my best to reinforce the door and jamb from possibly being kicked in. I know this isn’t the most professional job, but I should only have about $150.00 into this project. The new door looks twice as good and is much more secure. In order to reinforce the jamb I first upgraded the strike plate which I showed in blog part 1. http://lumberjocks.com/559dustdesigns/blog/14664Today I f...
Between my being a carpenter in today’s Michigan economy (lots of idle time) and my desire to learn more about finishing, I stopped by a local furniture refinishing/restoration shop a couple of weeks ago to see if I could pick up a non-paying apprenticeship just to pick up some knowledge and get some hands on experience. Of course I didn’t just walk in and say “are you guys looking for an apprentice?”. I asked if they were hiring and an employee told me “no”...
We recently purchased a new washer, & dryer, & we didn’t want to spend $400 for the factory pedestals, so I’m making my own. They should cost us about $75 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~This is the factory made pedestal~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~The front load machines are kind of low without a pedestal. It makes it kind of tough on the back muscles.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~...
Got to spend quite a bit of time the shop this weekend and made a bit a progress on both of the pending projects. The Woodworkers Fighting Cancer Table Build Over the weekend I managed to get the aprons for the table cut, and the tennons made. Following the advise of The Wood Whisperer I custome fit each tennon to its respective mortise. Did a dry assembly, and finally got the carcass of the table glued up (in two stages). I will have to do a little “evening” w...
Hey Friends! It’s been a little while since I told you about Charles Neil inviting me to build this project along with him and about him sending me the material to build his newest of “Mastering Woodworking” subscription webcast, where he’s building or rather “we” will be building a lowboy. It started last week and another installment is coming this Thursday. It started with the making of the cabriole legs, and as usual, Charles makes it a lot easier th...
A good friend (and fellow Lumberjock member JTASH) spent a fantastic weekend at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop in a handcut dovetails class. Now, JTASH has had some experience to this point in assembling actual projects with handcut dovetail joints. Me? I did a bunch of practice in sawing ‘to the line’ in preparation for the class, and even tried a crude attempt at assembling a test dovetail. The results were miserable and I would not post. Here is my conclusion after taki...
Started working on the Mortises for the Shaker Table March Guild Build. Pulled out my drill press that I haven’t used sense June and added a auxiliary table to it so I could put on a fence to keep all my mortises in exactly the same position. This is my first time using Birch and it seems fairly hard to me. Was getting a little smoke drilling my 1/4” holes, maybe the drill press is set to too slow a speed? Anyway got all the legs rough Mortised out. I’ve go...
March is here and by end of the month I hope to have the top of the built-in together and installed, and of course the Woodworkers Fighting Cancer table build (feel free to check it out and maybe make a small donation if you are so inclined). Last weekend I finished jointing and planeing the faces of the Cherry for top of the built-in. All finished it ended up just over 1” thick, so that will make a nice top. I still need to cut and joint the edges and I actually think I’ll e...
I decided to try my hand with 8/4 stock and save a little money by re-sawing all the stock myself. Looking back at it, I guess it was worth the $100 I saved but it was more of a hassle then I thought it was going to be.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1372 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 84 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1395 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 393 entries
- dbhost - 389 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- mafe - 228 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 190 entries
- Rustic - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 180 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 166 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- stefang - 158 entries