This may very well end up as my new yardstick for time and effort invested versus quality of results. And it’s not a terribly good yardstick, either. As the title states, it’s my first attempt at hand cut dovetails. I did it with scrap pieces of red oak, over the course of two embarrassing hours. The gaps are pretty pronounced, despite having to hammer the hell out of both pieces to fit them together. Things I learned during this quintessential rite of passage for wo...
Alright, did a lot of work the past while, even though it seems like I haven’t. I’ve been busy working!I started with the footboard, I first lined all the slats up in between the rails. This was probably one of the most frustrating parts of this whole project. Once I got them all pretty well in there, I attached the rails to the legs and that sorted out the slats for the most part. Once I did that, I noticed that my mortises and slats and stuff didn’t quite look as nice a...
I took my lumber for the top to Rick’s at The Woodworking Source to mill it up. What is taking my better part of 2 days we knocked out in about an hour and a half. These are some pics of Rick’s place. Its interesting that Rick does not do woodworking outside of work. He golfs because it is what he does to forget about what he does when he needs to forget about what he does. He is a professional and a great asset. ———————...
Intro: Hello to all and welcome to the first installment of Intarsia Basics. Before we can start cutting we need to select the wood we want to use and get our pattern ready. Wood Choices: I prefer to start with stock that is one inch thick because that gives you a lot of depth that you can work with. It will require a little more sanding on some areas but it will help to give your piece a 3D look. It is your choice if you prefer to stain your wood to achieve the colors or use exot...
I haven’t fallen of the face of the earth but I am behind on the Queen Size bed build. It has become a money pit because of a 5/8” mortising bit that I didn’t own. Then I realized that the throat on the mortising machine is on 6” and the bottom rail is 8” so I ordered a 5/8” mortising chisel. While waiting for it to get here I dry fit the head board and low and behold a queen size bed is more than 6’ wide and by the way that was the longest length of pipe clamp that I owned. So then I shell o...
A set of hard to get screen doors for Anderson exterior french doors. This ‘beginning’ shows the production of the rails and styles with embedded metal to brace the doors to help with any possible sagging. The unusual thing about it is that as I was going to weld up some flat bar into an L shape, I instead found some $2 framing squares which looked exactly like what I would have made. View the short video of the start of these doors. The video begins after I have cut up and st...
Just thought I’d give y’all an update since my first disaster. I chose to forgo the dull chisel this time and just went with the hacksaw, vise, and pencil. This time was much better as far as fit, but still pretty fugly. I’d give it a 4.5/10 as opposed to a 1/10 I would have given my last adventure. Here are some action shots. Cutting new tails (notice the first ones I did on the opposite end). Now the pins with my new and improved #2 marking device. Why didn’...
Armed with this, and this, and these, I decided to try and see if I had what it took to do some hand joinery. My ultimate goal is to build a set of natural wood guitar head and speaker cabs for my own custom built amp, which also happens to be my first guitar amp electronics project. I was concerned that I was getting a little too interested in gathering nice, expensive tools rather than working on skills, so I set out there to make due with what I had. I’m still a newb, so I...
Okay, so big update here. i did a lot of work the past couple days, and, a lot of milling. I swear, if theres such a thing as being a pro at milling, I’m it. First off, i got the legs finished up; tapered, chamfered, sanded, mortised. After that i got starting on a lot of milling, first longer boards to glued up in pairs to make the rails.Then, a pile of smallers pieces milled to 1/2” thick x 2” wide x 20 3/4” long, to make this pile of slats.This material started o...
Well yes it has been a while since I did anything. But I thought well I better actually start well finish doing the stands since Robbie has actually plumbed our Dishwasher… kinda was the deal. Anyway this is kinda the idea I have been thinking about for a while. Laminated pine to the rimu and cut. Just needs a good sand. Then the base and the top. I do have to make another top plate as the last one was not quite long enough. Anyway it will be sanded and then glued and screwed. We need ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1792 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 115 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1817 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 241 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 210 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries