It started with me cutting my sides, bottom, and shelves/dividers to rough length with my xcut D8 on sawbench, then cleaning/squaring up the ends with my Stanley #4 1/2 and the sides with my #5 1/2 and #8. I then ganged sides up in my moxon and go in house and refresh my memory on layout with Megan Fitzpatricks youtube video . I then proceed to mark out my tails and to cut them. I ran into some trouble, what little practice i had with cutting some dovetails was with completely seaso...
I needed a few things to happen before i started this build. The chest joinery, while fairly simple, required me to have a few fixtures and tools i did not have. Since i have full intention to do this with hand tools, this required a few jigs as well. One of the big parts of making this chest was the Dovetailed bottom. I have never attempted to cut a dovetail before this, though have always wanted to try. I did not have a true dovetail saw, though not necessarily needed. I have a couple ch...
For this Art Nouveau coffee table base system I’m using African Mahogany Hardwoods. A lot of planning went into figuring out the joinery. Half of the wood will be grinded away to get the large curves and shapes to blend together for this art nouveau style. By pin nailing hardwood blocking around the bottom back legs with two 45 degree angles also around the tenons. I was able to use had saws to do most of the cutting. The drill press really came in handy for drilling out the mortise ...
And maybe a Dutchman, too. Got the top over to the cleaned off (!!!) workbench. Worked on fitting the two breadboard edges to almost no gaps. Add some glue, clamp it down Until the gaps close up. Since this is a three board top, I used three 5/8” brads, in the center of each board. Set the top aside. Almost tripped over the Shop Cat He is looking a little digusted with me, I am interrupting his Mousing, Ok, top is out of the way for awhile. Took apart the base, and...
I guess that is the word for this tool-foolery in the shop today… Sat the base unit onto the floor, needed a few things off of it Needed one leg. That way I could do a bit of layout. Marked where a dovetail was going to go. Clamped the top rail into the vise, marked a few lines, and grabbed a dovetail saw. Seems I needed both of the Gents saws I have, as this one is for rip cuts, the other works as a cross cut.Needed a chisel to get rid of the waste. This time, that ma...
Howdy, I’m redoing the tiniest of tiny bathrooms. One entire wall is occupied by the tub. The other wall is taken up by the vanity and one of those gigantic mirrors. In between those small walls is the throne. If you are seated at the throne, there is just enough room to open the door. Yep… Tiny! I started on the countertop simply because I already knew exactly how I wanted it. Here are a few work in progress shots. I have already received some outstandi...
Well, rested up most of the day. Towards evening, got a bit busy down in the Dungeon Shop. Decided to try to mill some tenons on the three main aprons. The two sides and the back one. The front will get something a bit different…tomorrow. Laid out some lines on the ends of an apron. Set up the #78 to take maybe a 1/2” wide by a hair under 1/4” deep cut…Couple clamps to hold the board still, while I scrubbed away the waste. Found out that I needed to #1:...
Last night I snuck out to the shop to take the clamps from the front top that I glued up earlier that day and used them to glue up two of the legs. I just had to get it done before bed. This morning I just let them sit as I had other stuff to do. I started with flattening the bottom surface of the front top. I had to run it across the jointer in halves like I did with the back top and I thought I did ok but I realized that after running the top surface through the planer, that surface was...
I have been carry on working on the boxes with a 2 weeks pause for our february teaching session at the American School of French Marquetry. Great class, here are some pictures More here Anyway. Before the class started I had to finish the inside of the boxes with French Polish, before the room was taken over by the students. There is different way of holding the pieces with nails bent in places Or with small wood blocks I like to have it lay out...
The idea came from a neighbor. He had an old “bird feeder” very rot and yet functional. I offered him this bird box rebuild. I then built many of them:-)First of beech. Ha! Evil mistake! Well, at that point I knew even less about wood properties, but that beech is so bends I never expected.So I built one from the remnants of a corner seat in oak, 19 mm, finger-jointed. As always, not screwed, not nailed … .just dowelled. The Domino system by Festool is just great.A carpenter swears by Lamello...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1585 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1610 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries