What started as a leaking kitchen faucet has turned in to a kitchen remodel. However, I convinced my wife that before tearing up the kitchen, we should build a buffet in the dining room. If all goes well, then we will tackle the kitchen next year. We have been living in this house since July 1987. It has been paid for for several years and all of our kids are grown so it is just me and the missus. The cabinets are vintage 1983 oak but their time has come and gone. I don’t like the...
Howdy, Not much time for woodshop lately but I have been able to put a little time in here and there. Today was about 4 hours. Here is where I’m at. I did some hand planning to get it in earshot range. I used a stiff metal yardstick like a scree to reveal high spots. Len – listen up please. I grabbed a card scraper and took down some of the ridges left by the planning. I know I need to keep working on the scraper edge. I ended up using the ROS after my hands got tired...
I finished up the project in this session. Since it sticks out, I will comment on my non standard design – i.e. drawers in the back. I originally did this as an attempt to fix an issue in my shop lay out – stupid move. Fortunately, the flaw is not as annoying as I was worried since the INCRA Router Top has you standing at the side (facing the fence) vs standing at the long edge. So I started here And ended here Steps I followed in today’s session1. Dust Collec...
Howdy, I added all of my little U-Turns to the top and here is where I start this Blog. If you have any disparities in your measurements, Here is where they make an appearance. I have to add a 4 inch long piece of Curly Maple here but it’s wider than one inch because the rest of my strips were less than one inch wide. I cut a piece to length then I used a series of stopblocks and clamps to shave it to the exact width. Easy Glue up around all four corners. Once I got back to...
Howdy, I got a few hours of work in yesterday so I have a little progress to show. As promised, I’m providing more details about my third and final table of the Southwest series. I ripped up some American Walnut and Curly maple to one inch widths. I then cut up 40 pieces of Walnut to 3 inches. That is were I stopped with the precuts. ( I don’t have a joiner and I get variances on my rip cuts of 1/64th because I don’t always meet the fence with precision.) First thin...
Howdy, I thought I’d be a little more detailed about my Southwest tables with this blog. Lessons learned, Lessons still learning. Yep. You might find it handy. What I don’t have is a thickness planner, a workbench or a joiner. Great fun huh? Here is the first one in progress. Still haven’t added shellac up to this point. For starters, I built up a good sturdy substrate. I used 1, 2 foot by 4 foot piece of birch 1/2 inch plywood from Home Depot. I think it came ...
(This is my first attempt on a blog entry. English is my 2. language so bear over with me on spelling errors, funny language and all that.) This is a blog describing how i made this projeckt For a long time i´ve had this idea of making a rack for my cook books in the kitchen. They are just collecting dust on the shelf and not really getting the attension they deserve. Now i do see a lot of people using “plate racks” (dont know the word in english and google translate sugg...
After coming across a glue up thread yesterday, I was inspired to glue up a panel.I didnt take any pics of the actual glue up last night (DOH), but here is a panel I threw together with some reclaimed pine scraps I’ve been picking up every so often at random. I ran the handyman H1205 over the edges on the really rough pieces, then the block plane took out some knots, and finished with the #4 Stanley T13, which is cutting like butter after some tuning and filing down a ding at the...
Over the last couple of days before and after work I have had an assembly line of sorts going on in the shop for the glue up of the side, top and bottom panels of the cabinet case. I am up to 3 done and one more in clamps as we speak. As each one came out of the clamps and a new one went in I went about cleaning up and flattening the faces with a myriad of hand planes and my scraper. I purposely made each panel slightly oversized just in case I needed to rip a glue joint and re-joi...
This is the first entry in this series, but I’m already halfway into the White Oak version of my Rockler Adirondack chair. I’m also building a Western Red Cedar version, but haven’t started dimensioning the boards yet. I’m starting the blog at this point in the project, because 1. I wasn’t a member of LJ before starting the project and 2. I need to get my thoughts down about what I’ve learned so far, because this is really my first TRUE hardwood project...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1265 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 88 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 75 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1287 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 370 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 257 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Rustic - 184 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 161 entries
- stefang - 148 entries