Gluing up was quite an interesting time with so many pieces to go together at once. I did the ends first then dry fitted everything to make sure all of the joints would fit up square prior to adding the glue and clamping (using the offcuts from the legs when clamping) I have added one coat of Danish Oil but need to get the lid on before I can finish the handles and add finish to them.
Yesterday I took the end cap and cut out two mortises first using a spade bit and then chiseling it square. I had to trim the tenons down a bit to fit in, and when I was squaring the small mortise, part of the end grain wall broke away leaving me with a big gap. I really didn’t want to make another end cap and do all of this work again, so I think I’m going to go with it for now. If I decide later I can’t live with it, I can just take it off and make another o...
Started working on the Mortises for the Shaker Table March Guild Build. Pulled out my drill press that I haven’t used sense June and added a auxiliary table to it so I could put on a fence to keep all my mortises in exactly the same position. This is my first time using Birch and it seems fairly hard to me. Was getting a little smoke drilling my 1/4” holes, maybe the drill press is set to too slow a speed? Anyway got all the legs rough Mortised out. I’ve go...
Well, I’ve started my project. Got some poplar boards cut up today and after some final words of wisdom from my assistant in the shop (see photos) I assembled the base for the bed. Now I have to wait for the plywood to arrive from my lumber store. My assistant will be back tomorrow to check out my work. http://picasaweb.google.com/sicordg/MurpheyBed?authkey=BbTHjroAieQ&feat=directlink Stay tuned…. I think this is going to be fun…
a journey in shaper cutter, please come for the ride, stay for the 411 #1: An educational journey in shaper cutters, teachers & professors needed to take the reins.
I have over the past few weeks been able to start taking some overstock merchandise, merchandise that the customer either forgot about or didn’ t have the funds to pay after the customer used the companies sharpening service. Some of the blades, router bits and some shaper bits , I will be keeping for my self but, to be albe to buy more I have to sale items I don’t normally use or if there is way more of an item or group of items than I can use myself. This is one of those time. ...
I few days ago I started to make a cutting board. While cutting the materials for said cutting board I had found that while cross cutting my pieces that they would cut fine and then scrape the back of the blade. Check blade to miter and exactly the same front and back. OK change my reference point for bottom and side against my incra miter gauge. Ok cuts a straight cut. Wait not so fast. Readjust miter gauge, get rid of play in miter slot, resquare the fence to tab and off to the races. Gl...
I think all of us may think it is sometimes wise to stop typing and just do what are the things to do. I almost forgotten this series. But I do read still but did not bother to update. A recap on the second day of this boxes….Previous weekend I was travelling to the North that was Saturday… The cremation done last Monday and back to Manila. It was only Tuesday that I had faced the second day of this rush boxes.. On that day, I was able to sort out some wood and made the si...
The idea came from a neighbor. He had an old “bird feeder” very rot and yet functional. I offered him this bird box rebuild. I then built many of them:-)First of beech. Ha! Evil mistake! Well, at that point I knew even less about wood properties, but that beech is so bends I never expected.So I built one from the remnants of a corner seat in oak, 19 mm, finger-jointed. As always, not screwed, not nailed … .just dowelled. The Domino system by Festool is just great.A carpenter swears by Lamello...
I’m not much of a writer but wanted to share my experiences with my new found passion Diamond Willow. I don’t have many tools or resources but have the willingness to learn as i go from my mistakes and work with what i have. So with that said here we go. This is a work in progress.My first attempt at a foot stool The tenons are carved by hand. I just drilled the proper sized mortise in a piece of scrap and kept testing the fit and carve some more till i got the right dep...
Warning: pic heavy Just posting a bunch of progress. Leg vise continued. Cutting the bridal joint. Lignum vitae pin for the guide. This stuff strong. Trying to incorporate this as a pin holder but haven’t come across an idea that I can pull off with what I have on hand. So it’s on the back burner for now. Hammered a poplar dowel and drilled a center so I could bore it with a forstner. Didn’t work out so well. Stuck a roll pin...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1583 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 96 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1608 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 396 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 278 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- shipwright - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 198 entries
- Rustic - 188 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 185 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 176 entries