I am making a small (36”x32”) art table for a young grandchild. I bought kiln and air dried oak and used biscuit joinery to make the table top. It was dead flat after joining and glue up and remained dead flat until yesterday when I brushed a coat of primer in preparation of painting a gloss acrylic finish. This morning I put 2 coats of the gloss paint on the top and tonight when I was going to put the finish coat on I noticed that the top has bowed significantly (1/2 to 3/4 inch)...
I know this is a little out of order but I needed to get started on these desks ahead of the garbage can containers. What is great about these desks is that we will be using different kinds of joinery. We’ll be laminating the legs, pocket hole joinery for the aprons and top. Plus there will be some edge banding happening too. You will also see how I build my drawer boxes and the material that I use for this in future episodes. Don’t forget to sign up for Huck’s (hucksdi...
After the base assembly is complete, I start working on the sliding mechanism that will carry the split top. I use maple for some of the parts, and walnut for the slides that will be attached to the table top when I complete it. Although not very complex, it is a design that demands precision to work correctly. You Tube Link – https://youtu.be/KXypIMnhh3g As always, I welcome your questions and comments! To get updates of this build as I go along, please follow me on Inst...
Since my last entry I have spent one and a bit days working on the bench.This has involved sizing the verticals, cutting the tenons on the ends of the verticals and cutting the mortice for the stub tenon in the stretchers. SizingSizing the verticals was done on the jointer, table saw and thicknesser. The jointer was used to get two side straight and at right ankles to each other. The dimension for the width of the vertical (that is from the side, not the end) required that it be about si...
About 1pm today, decided to go and hide out in the shop…...at least until I got too sore to move.. Needed to clear some space. needed a couple toys..er…TOOLS from the Tool Chest #2….and be able to get to the mitresaw.. Found these hiding in the Tool Chest…a Wards #79, Stanley #39, and a square of some sort. I even swept the floor in there! As I needed to get back to thay saw bench. Needed to cut some bread board ends at a bevel…on each end IF I try...
They say that there’s nothing like practise to make you better at a skill. My cousin’s wedding is in June, and I decided in my new wood working glory to make a wedding present for them. After consulting my wife, we decided that building a clock would be a nice gift. So I spent some time searching the project archive here on LJ’s, and around the web. Saving pictures to the hard drive so that I could go back and forth to choose without having to bookmark the various pages t...
Ok, time to get caught up with this thing.. Had two of these to do for the back apron Had two of these to chop out for the bottom rail of the drawer opening.. And the top rail gets a dovetail on each end….finally got the whole mess into the clamps and let this sit a day…..Monday, the shop is normally closed…not today…got the base out of the clamps. Checked the drawer, again…needed the front planed flat.. Works for me.. Corner blocks…were ...
Well today is day 3, the halfway day again! It was a great day today, managed to fix the error I’d made last day by just swapping two pieces so I’m happy about that. I was concerned that my boards may have twisted between classes but the wood must be well and truly dry and acclimatized and I guess there was not too much stress in the boards so far so good. Managed to final dimension all of the pieces (about 12 of them) and just began figuring out the mortise and tenon joints o...
My five year old daughter Allyson was complaining one night that she had no place to set things when she went to bed. As I was getting ready to begin a woodworking class I offered to build her a nightstand. She enthusiastically accepted. I showed her some pictures of different types of nightstands that I thought I might be able to build. Immediately, she began giving me requirements including that it had to have two drawers and a shelf on the bottom. I have been working on it now for a little...
In this video, I show how I plan to use sliding dovetails for the mid span dividers, which also will house the sliding parts for the top, and then cut the sliding dovetails and make the dividers. Then I cut the slots in the end rails for the slides and glue up the end assemblies, which I might add was a grueling experience I hope I never put myself through again! I cut out the joinery for the lower rail that will connect the two curved rails and tie the whole thing together. It’s sta...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 90 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 267 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries