I’ve got a few days off for the holidays, and i’ve been able to get a little more work done on my desk project. I’ve been trying to figure out what type and color wood I want for the inlays and accent pieces. After talking with the guys at the local woodcraft, I picked up some trans tint 0 black dye, a chunk of walnut and some walnut veneers. I played around with these (and after dying my hand black, be careful with this stuff), but did not like the pitch black look. A f...
Well, sanded down some of the fingers that were sticking up.. After which, I ran a small combo square and a pencil around Trying to land somewhere besides right on a pin. Plane was to saw the lid part from the box’s bottom. Handsaw would be a bit too rough on things, and get into a bind. Bandsaw? A bit hard to do, and see where I was cutting. Yard sale item might just work… I cut one end first, to get the hang of using this heavy saw. Then cut the long side...
I recently finished building a federal style card table loosely patterned after the plan in FWW issue #59, “Federal Card Table” by Michael Dunbar. That table in turn is based on a piece from the period, thought to be from Baltimore. I still consider myself a newbie, and was shocked at how well the finished table came out! Now I’m going to make a second table with a few improvements. If you’d like to follow along I can promise you that we will take an interesting and unconve...
Since taking such an extended time learning many aspects of carving spoons from green timber, I began to miss the other parts of working wood. I missed the use of my old Stanleys, Disstons, and Millers Falls! Yeah….I am a hand tool galoot for sure….GALOOTS UNITE!...LOL. Of course while just starting to excel at carving, understanding the grips and sculpture of spoon making, it was easy to have a worry that my other skills were getting some rust as much as the tools began too!.....
Since I began woodworking almost five years ago and slowly building my shop, one of the things that has proven difficult for me to prioritize was buying clamps. We all know the old saying “You can’t have enough clamps”. And while this is true, the projects that I have mostly done didn’t require very many clamps. And the larger projects I did, I just made do with what I had. This bench project has spurred me to start buying parallel clamps, but at $40 + a pop and with s...
In September, I started coming up with ideas for my wife’s Christmas present. The short of it is—I haven’t finished it yet. Fortunately, it was a minor part of all that I was getting/making her, so she didn’t go without this Christmas. Part of my problem is that I’m still a greenhorn and purpleheart is a jerk to work with. Tearout, checking, and pitting is something I’ve had to deal with non-stop. For the past two weeks, my shop (no heating) has been bel...
I haven’t posted anything in a while, but I’ve lately found time to get back into the shop and work on a few projects. One was a Chris Schwarz-style saw bench out of SYP from the local Big Box Store. I glued up the top from a couple of dense 1×8s I had left over from some other project, penciled in a curve and roughed the sawing notch out of the end with a coping saw, which was a bit of a chore. The top has a nice heft to it. The legs were glued up from match...
After drawing the plans, I went to the store to purchase the lumber to build the storage box. Had to make a few substitutions due to the price of lumber here in England. Instead of using ply, I settled for MDF. Still quite expensive but nothing near the price of ply or pine. Anyway, I will post pictures of the work in progress.
A few weeks ago, picked a slab of wood at a yard sale, for a dollar bill… Slab was 5’ long, just over 1” thick. At the narrow end, it was over 12” wide, far end was 17” counting the bark.I resawed it down to something I could use. Then decided to resaw these into 1/2” thick slabs… Had decent luck with two of the slabs, the other two? Not so nice. Well, maybe I can “make do” with the better stuff? Crosscut the better of the...
I got the legs all milled up, 1 3/4” square, and cut the bevels on the bottom. I screwed a fence to my mitre gauge, which had a block of wood glued to it which allowed me to keep the bevels somewhat consistent. I say somewhat, because I think my mitre gauge didn’t lock down when tightened, as there is a very slight variation in the bevels so they don’t meet up in the back on all the legs. Obviously nothing to care about – the only way you’d be able to see the ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1768 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 109 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Toy costruction - 93 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1793 entries
- dbhost - 430 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 253 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- robscastle - 226 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Dave Rutan - 219 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 199 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries