ever want to say – to hell with the high fahlutin joinery – and just screw the dang project together? i’m close people – real close – to doing just that. well, not really. just maybe a little. maybe. a bit. they’ll be unseen. i mean, they’re screws, there is a serious skill level involved. right? getting them straight, allowing for wood movement, choosing the right ones, placement, yadda yadda yadda. what if i put them in by hand? would...
I blogged a couple of weeks ago about what I should charge for a small box I was asked to make. I thought that those of you who haven’t delved into the wonderful world of box making might like to journey along with me as I make this commissioned box. I was given the outside dimension for the box, as the owner intends to place it in a chest of drawers, so it must fit the size constraints of the drawer. The box will be 95mm high x 360mm wide x 240mm deep (approximately 3.75” x 14...
Parabolic Works of ‘Wood Art’ ....today is my moment of now, like where was yesterday when all is past, and what be-comes of foresight in tommorow, is but a shadow of finding past…. —-so once again i go ahead. ....who plows a furrow with their head stuck in some frown, and what gives those other’s right to say follow this way, tis no-small thing to walk behind the footsteps of some ridiculous king, like now i tend to know that all was for their pleasurab...
Was running out of daylight to take pictures in, so I had to finish quick… here’s the pieces: and here's the project
To date, the most time I’ve spent at the lathe was 3 hours – and that was in a small classroom setting practing beads and coves – 1/2 the time playing and getting a feel for the tools, and the rest of the time trying to make deliberate shapes – while contantly dealing with catches. Today, I began working on my wood joinery/garden project. 1 hour of planning and cutting, 4 hours straight at the lathe! Also to date, the longest things I’ve turned came in around ...
It’s funny how this contest challenges you to think about wood in different ways. At first you think of how to replace nails with dowels or dovetails… then as designs get too complex, the mind broadens and figures out how to strip away the clutter and simplify the design or the plan. (I’ve always been good with simplification – resume’ as it were) It finally ocurred to me, just tonight, that the baskets my sister made (we have two, a wine basket and a stair ba...
Ah, life. It’s what happens while you’re busy making other plans. I had (ok, still have) a great idea for both contests. Yes, two birds with one stone. And what was even better, was that it required only small amounts of time and attention, spread out over the duration of the contest. It was required actually. As I would be turning pieces of green wood, and needed to stagger the assembly, so as the pieces could dry gradually and mother nature could do the joinery for me. No need f...
Almost Done> As I was reading the previous posted blogs on the construction of the Summer 2007 LumberJocks Joinery, I noticed that I failed to complete the posting of the latch for the cabinet door. Not only had I failed to post it, I had failed to install it. I wanted to use something like a clothes pin. The little loop that catches the wire for hanging clothes. I had created my wire simulation out of wood. This was installed in the end of a shelf board. The space behind the Holl...
Time to turn my attention to the back. The locking mortise and tenon had been designed and it was now time to cut the mortises in the sides of the back. They were marked thru the holes in the sides and tape placed on the back to give the ends of the mortises. Using the horizontal router table. A view from the side. All of the wedge key tenons were made long so they are now being cut to the appropriate length minus 1/8” to allow for the back to move. And cut the wedge tenons to the co...
One thing nice about not being allowed to use glue, No glue clean up and you can pre-finish all of the parts before assembly. On my finishing blog I wrote about using Pumice and Rottenstone as a wood filler, I thought I’d try something different on this cabinet. I used my private blend Danish Oil (1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil BLO, 1/3 varnish, and 1/3 Mineral Spirits). I squirted it on the boards and used a 120 grit Random Orbital Sander (ROS) to sand the oil and sanding dust. In doing that I wa...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1547 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 95 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- ScrollSaw Information and Resources - 68 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1572 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 271 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 188 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 173 entries