Today I spent the morning looking for enough wood to finish my Adirondack patio set. I went to two Lowes stores and pretty much cleaned them out of 1×3 Douglas Fir decking boards which is what I’m using for my seat slats and most of my back slats (I use one 1×4 for the middle back slat on the single chairs and 2 1×4s and 1 1×6 on the settee). The actual width of 2 3/8” is perfect and I just have to cut them to length. The problem is that there is never eno...
...have been thrown in so far. I’ve had about thirty kids place hands on it so far, including to visually-impaired students today. I didn’t expect them so I didn’t prep anything for them to do. After a little scrounging around, I was able to get them to do the sanding/masking work on the rims. Last week saw the finished paintjob. The blue paint took around three coats to cover well, while the yellow pinstripe was created using masking tape and Rustoleum Pro Yellow spr...
I decided to make some last minute stocking fillers for family and friends, this year it was Cheese Boards, I bought some hardwood sheets from HomeCenter, unfortunately there was no description as to what wood was used to make up these sheets, but it had a nice grain.To make the process easier, I decided to make a another Spindle Sander which could be used on the Pillar Drill, or as is described in ‘The Family Handyman’, a drum sander. The idea being this is clamped on the ...
Previously, I wrote about the merits of using rough stock in your woodworking. In that post I discussed the benefits offered to every woodworker through milling your own boards from rough to ready. What I did not cover is how to go about preparing rough stock for use on a project. In a new post on my blog, I focus on the first steps in the process and discuss how I typically approach them, and why. Take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks for reading!
My old patio set has seen better days. It was a pretty inexpensive set that I picked up when we lived in Phoenix fourteen years ago, so I guess I got my money’s worth out of it. Anything that last fourteen years in the Phoenix and Las Vegas sun is pretty amazing. :) I looked into the cost of replacing the slings on four chairs and a chaise lounge and I’m not sure it’s worth doing. Since I have the time and the tools, this is the perfect opportunity to take a crack at bu...
I had a very busy day today outside of my workshop. After coming back home from important family business, I decided to purchase some new jigsaw blades. I had run test cuts on some scrap pieces of wood. I determined that I needed at least two types of blades and these were dedicated for cutting hardwoods. I bought two different sets of blades from my local big box store. When I got them home I performed another test in order to verify its results I selected the Bosch T101BF blade lab...
Well, I have one finished Adirondack Chair now. It’s nice and heavy. No danger of this one blowing into my pool no matter how much wind we get here. Here it is during the priming/painting process. And another. Here is the completed chair and the legs for two more chairs and the matching settee. I stopped by our local specialty lumber yard today just to look around and see if I could find a better deal on the Douglas Fir 1×3 and 1×6 lumber that I need ...
I spent today assembling two chairs and the settee from the parts that I had cut yesterday. I was really in the grove today. Even more neighbors stopped by to check out the chairs. One of them asked so many questions, that I suspect he is on the board of my HOA and was trying to find out if I was operating a furniture building business out of my garage. I’m really happy with how chair #2 & #3 turned out. They are so identical, that even I have a hard time telling which one I ...
After discussing it with my wife, we decided it would be better to have another shelf on the bookcase and shorten the toy storage area. Easy enough. I ripped out a new shelf, trimmed to size a d drilled pocket holes. Some glue and screws and a other shelf is born. Hint: it’s the narrow one directly above the large opening, bottom left of the picture below. Then I cut out the toy storage front piece with the jigsaw: When it was free, I used the tracing paper outline of a flowe...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1806 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 125 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 111 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1831 entries
- dbhost - 438 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 318 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 245 entries
- Dave Rutan - 245 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- bandit571 - 201 entries