The other day I posted a blog which showed the way I drilled vertically into thin stock. (#1227 Drilling a Vertical Hole Into Thin Stock) I heard many positive responses from people who thought the blog was helpful. However, it was brought to my attention that some may feel that there is a possibility of getting injured by having your fingers too close to the drill bit if it slipped. While this has never happened to me, I do see that it could be a possibility if someone were to push ver...
Yea, I know. DP Tables are like cutting boards around here. Been There, Done That. So, I don’t see any Drill Press Tables that are perfect for me. So I’ll build one. Using all of the ideas I’ve seen on this site. My first draft The fence design will come later. I like the following ideas:3 slots. (2 for the fence and hold downs, and one down the middle for a miter gauge or equivalent item or just more holddown for small parts.)1 cross slot. (S...
So, I’ve seen tons of videos, read more blog posts than I remember, and tried myself many times to follow all the different methods for sharpening a card scraper I’ve found online. After finally getting the hang of it, I wanted to post my simple no-nonsense method so you can all sharpen card scrapers with ease as well. It’s really quite a bit simpler than people have made it out to be. Required items:1. Unsharpened Card Scraper (If you don’t have this, why read t...
A while back, I posted my sliding crosscut sled, but then I later built another sled that slid over both sides of the blade. The original sled was just to the left of the blade and left a cutoff piece to dance around and connect with the blade a few times. I found the perfect use for the old one sided sled at the band saw. I had to make a new runner, but the old one popped off easy enough. I cut it down to 12” wide and moved the end clamp closer to the left so it would not be off bal...
I have been building a lot of cabinets recently. Not my favorite thing to do. Anyway, I came up with a couple of jig thingies to help. First problem was assembling carcasses all by myself. Pocket screws make it fast, strong, and easy to build a carcass. My problem was getting the first three pieces screwed together. So I made a bunch of little blocks by drilling a hole in them with the pocket screw jig. I then slightly rounded a small piece of 3/8 inch dowel and glued it in the hole. When ta...
Here are some pic sand description of the process I use to make the arch and mouldings for the fruit stand .In this case I used some hardwood flooring with the finish and the backside grooves removed which brings it down to about 9/16 ”. I set up my sled with simple index pin and two index marks for left and right hand cut on the movable panel on the sled. I use a 7 1/4” 40 tooth blade and the arbor tilted to 10 DEG.The blade is set in height to leave about 3/32”o...
This was supposed to be part #2 but it’s #1. See #2 for the back story on my router table. The first improvement to my router table was the fence. I have a bunch of mdf that’s been in the shop for years so that’s what I used. I know, not the best material for a project like this. But, my fence was a hodgepodge of ideas and I built it with no plans and just guessed at the measurements. IF it doesn’t hold up at least I’ll have a better idea of what I’...
Dang, I have parts 1 and 2 reversed in the blog. Sorry, but this was my first time trying to use the blog. I’ve been cleaning, reorganizing and rearranging my shop lately. The latest task has been to update my router table. I thought I’d start this blog with what I’ve been using. This was built approximately 9 years ago and has served reasonably well. I had acquired several metal cabinets from a copy machine company and started with one of those. I mounted it ...
After having to cut all the tenons by hand on my shaving horse i decided I never want to do that again and when i got paid for a quick welding job I picked these up for $65 including shipping. As far as the age and manufacturer of these tools i have no clue all I can tell is they are most likely cast iron. Here are some photos of them after I spent a couple hours cleaning them up and getting all the stubborn screws free again: I’m half tempted to replace the machine screws ...
Yes, you did read it right.This Youtube video shows how to do just that.Not that I would do this but I have a lathe. If you don’t have a lathe it might be worth a try.Anyway it is a bit of genius and there is absolutely nothing like a new jigFull marks to this bloke, Izzy Swan, for effort.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHRhh11rWs.
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1526 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1551 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 394 entries
- dbhost - 390 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- mafe - 260 entries
- William - 258 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- shipwright - 211 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 199 entries
- stefang - 187 entries
- Rustic - 186 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 181 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 166 entries