I have been building a lot of cabinets recently. Not my favorite thing to do. Anyway, I came up with a couple of jig thingies to help. First problem was assembling carcasses all by myself. Pocket screws make it fast, strong, and easy to build a carcass. My problem was getting the first three pieces screwed together. So I made a bunch of little blocks by drilling a hole in them with the pocket screw jig. I then slightly rounded a small piece of 3/8 inch dowel and glued it in the hole. When ta...
Here are some pic sand description of the process I use to make the arch and mouldings for the fruit stand .In this case I used some hardwood flooring with the finish and the backside grooves removed which brings it down to about 9/16 ”. I set up my sled with simple index pin and two index marks for left and right hand cut on the movable panel on the sled. I use a 7 1/4” 40 tooth blade and the arbor tilted to 10 DEG.The blade is set in height to leave about 3/32”o...
This was supposed to be part #2 but it’s #1. See #2 for the back story on my router table. The first improvement to my router table was the fence. I have a bunch of mdf that’s been in the shop for years so that’s what I used. I know, not the best material for a project like this. But, my fence was a hodgepodge of ideas and I built it with no plans and just guessed at the measurements. IF it doesn’t hold up at least I’ll have a better idea of what I’...
Dang, I have parts 1 and 2 reversed in the blog. Sorry, but this was my first time trying to use the blog. I’ve been cleaning, reorganizing and rearranging my shop lately. The latest task has been to update my router table. I thought I’d start this blog with what I’ve been using. This was built approximately 9 years ago and has served reasonably well. I had acquired several metal cabinets from a copy machine company and started with one of those. I mounted it ...
After having to cut all the tenons by hand on my shaving horse i decided I never want to do that again and when i got paid for a quick welding job I picked these up for $65 including shipping. As far as the age and manufacturer of these tools i have no clue all I can tell is they are most likely cast iron. Here are some photos of them after I spent a couple hours cleaning them up and getting all the stubborn screws free again: I’m half tempted to replace the machine screws ...
Yes, you did read it right.This Youtube video shows how to do just that.Not that I would do this but I have a lathe. If you don’t have a lathe it might be worth a try.Anyway it is a bit of genius and there is absolutely nothing like a new jigFull marks to this bloke, Izzy Swan, for effort.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EHRhh11rWs.
While waiting for parts of the Rocket Bookcase to dry, I launched into another project. Turns out SWMBO recently put the kabash on a potential gift of a lathe to me. Now, leaving aside the shock of the aborted tool acquisition, I could understand the logic, and after the events described below, I now agree with it. What exactly can you do (not master turners or guys who can spend all day in the shop—-I’m talking regular Joe’s like me who have maybe an hour or so a day i...
(This is my first attempt on a blog entry. English is my 2. language so bear over with me on spelling errors, funny language and all that.) This is a blog describing how i made this projeckt For a long time i´ve had this idea of making a rack for my cook books in the kitchen. They are just collecting dust on the shelf and not really getting the attension they deserve. Now i do see a lot of people using “plate racks” (dont know the word in english and google translate sugg...
I had a miter sled, but I didn’t really like it. It was heavy and bulky and, to be honest, not really that well made. So, since I had a few pieces leftover from trimming down the reclaimed counter top for my eventual router table, I decided to make a new one! This time I went in knowing a bit more about what I wanted and how I wanted to make it. The base is construction-grade 1/2” ply. Not the best but it’s what I had. the miter guide / fence pieces are leftover trim from...
Finally got back to work on this project…I dove right in with making the staves for thr coopered base on Stage I. My plan is to make a nice curved wall and cut a hatch into it so Keaton can put toys inside. I did some calculations and discovered I needed 12 pieces of wood, angled at 3 degrees per side to make a nice arc. Here’s the basic idea: To make the bevels, I needed a jig to slide each stave into for planing. Nothing fancy, just some scrap pine cut to hole the s...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1198 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Workshop Development - 67 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1220 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 333 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- Karson - 294 entries
- William - 249 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- mafe - 208 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- PurpLev - 162 entries
- shipwright - 160 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 145 entries