After glueing in the medallion, I went ahead and sanded it flush with the lid. I did this to be sure it looked ok. I was worried about chipped out areas below the rim showing up after the sanding and it would be much easier to replace the panel at this stage before the entire box was shaped. It would make aligning the jig for recutting the recess less of a nightmare. But it looked fine. The handle is a piece of cut off from the Maple medallion. I simply slotted a mortise in it and the lid ...
This week I share with you a decorative box which features hand cut dovetail joints. This box is made of Mahogany and Pecan and its center piece being a Spalted Pecan Panel Lid. I am no authority on dovetails joints so I don’t go into a lot of detail on making hand cut dovetail joints. There are a lot of training videos and materials out there to reference off of. I used some of the pecan Which I had milled from free logs delivered to me by a tree service. When I re sawe...
I have had this very unusual spaltted Persimmon board for a long time and wanted to make something special. Decided to do another ” I Got Secrets ” mans jewelry box. I have shown you one of these before but look out this is loud.!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nrnpmha.jpg! The box has three secrets. #1 is how to get it open. First you have to find the key by popping open the top. Do this by pressing down on the left side of the tops bookmatched medallion which ...
The jewelry box is coming along as you can see. I also have the top glued together but no pics yet. I have a tray that I’m working on but not anywhere complete . I also haven’t decided on a color of velvet to use, I have red crushed velvet but I was thinking about dark blue or black I don’t know yet. Also I’m thinking ahead about the hinges I would like to use brusso hinges for small boxes or some other type of quality hinge but the problem I’m concerned about is...
I wanted to make a storage case for my young niece who LOVES necklaces (and my sister who is tired of untangling said necklaces). I started my inspiration from one of Doug Stowe’s books. I am using the basic dimensions but adding more of an “Arts & Crafts” feel. I also will not be adding his fabric panels. I also want to make a necklace carousel to add extra storage rather than just around the sides. I have been designing this as I go which means a lot of trips to t...
The input was for the most part was to use Wenge for the interior. So….here it is. Please keep in mind I have not decided on a finish yet. I am leaning towards a Danish Oil type of blend. Trays in the box Trays removed Trays made of Wenge and Ambrosia Maple. Bottom of the trays, showing off the Ambrosia Maple. Please pardon the photography…I’m not great at it. Should have used a tripod.
OK Guys and Girls The Christmas Box Build Off Entries are ready for your Vote. Voting is now Open! Voting Ends Friday December 7th, 2012 and the winners will be announced on Saturday December 8, 2012. Viewer and public votes will be added to the Judges Votes to determine the winners of the Build off.. Click the link below to go to the voting page. READ THE PAGE CONTENTS CAREFULLY BEFORE VOTING The Photo entries as well as the Video Responses are in no particular order. To vote Che...
The last two nights and this morning’s work are covered here. I probably should have waited, but I wanted to shape the outside and see how it looked. I started by putting some marks to guide how much I sanded off on the high spots for the initial bevels. I then could sand (with a sanding block and 60 grit paper) until the high spots were evenly brought down. After that, I just kept going through the grits – up through 400. I could have stopped sooner since I still...
Now that the basics are done, it’s time to add doors and drawer fronts. I used some resawn walnut for the door panels. I like the matching grains. Now the outside of the box is done, it’s time to work on the details. Check out the link to see what I did on the inside of the jewelry case.
Well here is some new progress on the Topa Challenge. It is NOT glued together at this point. Just has a few pieces of tape to hold it together to get pics. I need to break it down and dado out the groove for the bottom. Then I need to sand profusely and then glue together. After that I plan on using Padauk to do all the corners, maybe. I’m digging the miters on this piece. The effort to get all the grain to line up all the way around has been fun, and adding the borders of padauk ma...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1793 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 116 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 110 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 82 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 81 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1818 entries
- dbhost - 436 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- mafe - 313 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 254 entries
- robscastle - 242 entries
- Dave Rutan - 231 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 211 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 195 entries