After yesterday’s rocky start, you would think that the day was going to be heading in a downhill direction. Not so, I say! The little hiccup here at LJ’s came and went so quickly that most people probably didn’t even notice it. With nearly 25,000 accounts to maintain here, I think that they do an outstanding job. In thinking about it and adding up the numbers, just think of all the pictures, projects and comments that all 25,000 of us post in a single day. It is simp...
Doing some resawing. The basic box. About a week ago my dentist, Bam, said he had a piece of old Kamagong for me. Well that made the pain in the dentist chair more tolerable (actually it was only a routine cleaning). It was a pretty scrungy looking board about 30” x 18” with nail holes (including a couple of nails) and a fair share of splits. I could see some nice grain buried in there though it would have to be brought out where it was more obvious. Also someone had ‘...
Now that the basics are done, it’s time to add doors and drawer fronts. I used some resawn walnut for the door panels. I like the matching grains. Now the outside of the box is done, it’s time to work on the details. Check out the link to see what I did on the inside of the jewelry case.
The jewelry box is coming along as you can see. I also have the top glued together but no pics yet. I have a tray that I’m working on but not anywhere complete . I also haven’t decided on a color of velvet to use, I have red crushed velvet but I was thinking about dark blue or black I don’t know yet. Also I’m thinking ahead about the hinges I would like to use brusso hinges for small boxes or some other type of quality hinge but the problem I’m concerned about is...
I wanted to make a storage case for my young niece who LOVES necklaces (and my sister who is tired of untangling said necklaces). I started my inspiration from one of Doug Stowe’s books. I am using the basic dimensions but adding more of an “Arts & Crafts” feel. I also will not be adding his fabric panels. I also want to make a necklace carousel to add extra storage rather than just around the sides. I have been designing this as I go which means a lot of trips to t...
Well here is some new progress on the Topa Challenge. It is NOT glued together at this point. Just has a few pieces of tape to hold it together to get pics. I need to break it down and dado out the groove for the bottom. Then I need to sand profusely and then glue together. After that I plan on using Padauk to do all the corners, maybe. I’m digging the miters on this piece. The effort to get all the grain to line up all the way around has been fun, and adding the borders of padauk ma...
This past Christmas my mom was showing off her pin collection, and she keeps them all in these small jewelry boxes, and the thought hit me that it would be nice to build here box that she could hold all if not most of these pins in. Well as I thought and thought about it and this ‘box’ quickly turned into a small cabinet. My idea is for a standard looking upright jewelry cabinet and when you open it there are drawers in the main case and also smaller drawers in the doors them...
The input was for the most part was to use Wenge for the interior. So….here it is. Please keep in mind I have not decided on a finish yet. I am leaning towards a Danish Oil type of blend. Trays in the box Trays removed Trays made of Wenge and Ambrosia Maple. Bottom of the trays, showing off the Ambrosia Maple. Please pardon the photography…I’m not great at it. Should have used a tripod.
Ok fellow LJ’ers. I am working on a new jewelry box and I would like your input on what wood to use on the interior for the dividers and trays. The box is made with Lacewood, with Padauk and Wenge stripes and accents. The box does not have a finish on it yet (just FYI, I am planning on using a gloss poly and then rubbing out back down to a semi-gloss.) Here is what I currently have in stock. Curly MapleLace wooda very little bit of Sapele WalnutWengeAmbrosia Map...
Now for the rest of the photos of the work performed so far on my introductory woodworking project. After cutting all the pieces to size, the next step was to mortise the legs. We used a router table with a couple stop-blocks set to control the length of the mortises. (If you look closely, you can see that the stop-blocks use our instructor’s patented Micro-Adjustable Depth Control System™ – he sells them for $30/set. What a deal!) Here are the legs after mortising. In...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 105 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 418 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 213 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 193 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries