This week I share with you a decorative box which features hand cut dovetail joints. This box is made of Mahogany and Pecan and its center piece being a Spalted Pecan Panel Lid. I am no authority on dovetails joints so I don’t go into a lot of detail on making hand cut dovetail joints. There are a lot of training videos and materials out there to reference off of. I used some of the pecan Which I had milled from free logs delivered to me by a tree service. When I re sawe...
I have had this very unusual spaltted Persimmon board for a long time and wanted to make something special. Decided to do another ” I Got Secrets ” mans jewelry box. I have shown you one of these before but look out this is loud.!https://s3.amazonaws.com/vs-lumberjocks.com/nrnpmha.jpg! The box has three secrets. #1 is how to get it open. First you have to find the key by popping open the top. Do this by pressing down on the left side of the tops bookmatched medallion which ...
Ok fellow LJ’ers. I am working on a new jewelry box and I would like your input on what wood to use on the interior for the dividers and trays. The box is made with Lacewood, with Padauk and Wenge stripes and accents. The box does not have a finish on it yet (just FYI, I am planning on using a gloss poly and then rubbing out back down to a semi-gloss.) Here is what I currently have in stock. Curly MapleLace wooda very little bit of Sapele WalnutWengeAmbrosia Map...
The last two nights and this morning’s work are covered here. I probably should have waited, but I wanted to shape the outside and see how it looked. I started by putting some marks to guide how much I sanded off on the high spots for the initial bevels. I then could sand (with a sanding block and 60 grit paper) until the high spots were evenly brought down. After that, I just kept going through the grits – up through 400. I could have stopped sooner since I still...
After glueing in the medallion, I went ahead and sanded it flush with the lid. I did this to be sure it looked ok. I was worried about chipped out areas below the rim showing up after the sanding and it would be much easier to replace the panel at this stage before the entire box was shaped. It would make aligning the jig for recutting the recess less of a nightmare. But it looked fine. The handle is a piece of cut off from the Maple medallion. I simply slotted a mortise in it and the lid ...
Doing some resawing. The basic box. About a week ago my dentist, Bam, said he had a piece of old Kamagong for me. Well that made the pain in the dentist chair more tolerable (actually it was only a routine cleaning). It was a pretty scrungy looking board about 30” x 18” with nail holes (including a couple of nails) and a fair share of splits. I could see some nice grain buried in there though it would have to be brought out where it was more obvious. Also someone had ‘...
I worked late enough last night I didn’t get to updating the blog until this morning. There were a couple pictures still on the camera for the prior day’s work. I got the template done and located it on the lid. After a few passes with the router, I had a recess. The lid is only 5/16 thick to start with and the recess is 3/16 deep. I trimmed the ironwood to size and rounded the corners. Then I applied glue and clamped them up for the night. The last thing I...
Well after about four months I finely get a chance to make use of my shop. I have begun to work on my jewelry box once again. I started in january and got distracted by the huge shop renovation. Well here it is. I believe that it turned out better than expected. This was my fist attempt at veneering and I think that I did very well. It turned out great. I fist took a peice of poplar and milled it flat and then used two peices of 1/4 ply to work as calls and put about ten diffrent types of cla...
Well here is some new progress on the Topa Challenge. It is NOT glued together at this point. Just has a few pieces of tape to hold it together to get pics. I need to break it down and dado out the groove for the bottom. Then I need to sand profusely and then glue together. After that I plan on using Padauk to do all the corners, maybe. I’m digging the miters on this piece. The effort to get all the grain to line up all the way around has been fun, and adding the borders of padauk ma...
I have been carry on working on the boxes with a 2 weeks pause for our february teaching session at the American School of French Marquetry. Great class, here are some pictures More here Anyway. Before the class started I had to finish the inside of the boxes with French Polish, before the room was taken over by the students. There is different way of holding the pieces with nails bent in places Or with small wood blocks I like to have it lay out...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 107 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 80 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 420 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries