The lid is the most “visible” part of these boxes. I’ve been making mitered frames with panel centers. Some times a mirror on the inside, other times I use veneer. Options would be to make a panel similar to the base or choose another arrangement that draws the eye. For this box, I chose a veneered panel with a mitered frame. As with the base, the dimensions of the inside of the top frame are identical to the dimensions of the box body interior (6” x 8R...
I’ve had several inquiries for plans or more info into the details of my exposed finger joint boxes I’ve been building of late. Plans get complex and are often best explained in some detail, hence this project blog. Lots of pictures and details, hopefully clear and not too boring 8^) A set of dimensional drawings (4 pfd files) can be downloaded here It’s next to impossible for drawings like these to contain all the details. These boxes have simple structure, but a l...
Well I finally decided to complete my “finishing” of this box, flock it, and to add hardware. I chose to final finish polishing with Johnson’s Paste Wax (JPW) which comes out with a satiny semi-gloss sheen. Here are my last steps on this project. I really learned a lot from finishing this box. Too glossy brings out every single flaw and amplifies it/them, making things look worse rather than better. Too much effort IMO. Semi-gloss seems to “ask” to be touche...
Hi all, Here is my first copy of this great design from the 30’s. I won the original (left of the picture) on ebay some time ago, and after cleaning it and trying it out I decided to make copies of it, mainly because my sister is studying to become a jeweler and bakelite is great for silversmithing and goldsmithing since it’s rather soft.I used this vise for cutting rather delicate scrollwork into horn and bone flats, with very nice results. The only thing that the original...
It’s done! She waited through 2 birthdays, 1 anniversary, 1 Christmas, and 1 Valentine’s Day… but it’s finally done, and she seems to feel that it was worth the wait. /phew! For all the details of each step of the project, head on over to my woodworking blog . Otherwise, click over to my LJ Project page and check it out.
Sorry for the delay. It’s been a busy week. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… here’s the next set of progress images… I finish assembling the drawers and fitting them to their bays. Not piston-fit, but as close as I’ve ever come. I can’t stress how important it is to take your time at this step. Take super light passes off the sides of the drawers and keep retesting the fit to the point of insanity. As so...
And we’re back! Our specials today are: Carbide-tipped bandsaw blades with a side of Stickley’s Aurora finish. For appetizers we have some bookmatched door panels and invisible hinges. Our entree this evening is a large stack of hand-cut dovetails. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… more photos! I bought a Lennox Trimaster Carbide-tipped Bandsaw BladeNot pictured, but it’s super amazing! Makes my bandsaw cut like a t...
Welcome back to one woodworker’s flirtation with insanity by way of making a Jewelry Armoire for my wife. I’m happy to say that I and all of my new personalities are really glad to be done with this project. For all the details, head on over to my woodworking blog . In the meantime… on with the show! I didn’t want to use a table saw to cut these grooves, so I had to make a sticking board I got a little overzealous with the plow plane, slipped, and cut m...
I completed the project last night at 9:30pm but was too tired to take decent photos. In the meantime I’ll entertain you with a few highlights from the past 8 months. If you want the full details, feel free to head on over to my woodworking blog Quadrilinear legs and a dovetailed top frame: Beaded & Shiplapped backer boards: My ridiculously detailed Gantt Chart project timeline Flattening the top Carefully marking the mortise locations on e...
I decided to build, what I think is, a nice jewelry case for my Niece’s birthday this summer. The case is Walnut with Bird’s Eye Maple for drawers and accents. There are some secondary 1/8” panels that will be either Baltic Birch or hardboard. Plans are from an older issue of Wood magazine. Here’s what it should look like when complete: Yesterday I cut everything but the hardboard to rough size. Then I dadoed out 10 tiny rails and stiles for half lap ...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1832 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Toy costruction - 131 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 115 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- Just for Fun... - 98 parts
- Woodworking on a Half-Shoestring - 91 parts
- Shop stuff - 89 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 82 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1857 entries
- dbhost - 455 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 398 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- mafe - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- Dave Rutan - 277 entries
- robscastle - 266 entries
- shipwright - 259 entries
- William - 258 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 241 entries
- bandit571 - 237 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 221 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries