Yesterday was filled by doing lots of odds and ends. Among other things, I was trying to get some planning done for our upcoming trip to Chicago. I haven’t mentioned it much because things have been so up in the air about everything that it has seemed like things have changed every five minutes. It is a little unsettling to say the least. Add to that the issues with my car. It is nothing that I would consider to be “major”, but nonetheless it is a ten year old car with...
I had planned on finishing up my drawings for the next design that I am sending to the magazine yesterday. But with that new saw sitting in the corner there just BECKONING to me, there was no way that I could NOT spend some time on it! I suppose that one good thing about owning your own business is that you get to decide what needs to be done (and when!) So much of what we self-employed people do is self-goverened. (Humm . . . could that be why so many self-employed people aren’t su...
I had a bunch of errands to run today which have kept me out of the shop. I just now had a chance to get out there to maybe get some shaping done on the handle when I noticed an issue with the mallet head. It looks like some hairline separation of the glue joints have appeared since yesterday (or maybe earlier but I haven’t noticed them till just now). I am trying to figure out how to rectify this if it even needs rectifying. Here are some pics of what I am talking about… ...
Spent the night in with the family last night. Which was fine because I wanted to let the glue set a bit longer before doing anything that might stress the joints. So no progress made last night but got started early this morning. Took the head out of the clamps and cleaned up and flattened the top and bottom. Then using the string trick I figured out the angle for the faces to be cut at. Scored some nice deep lines for the cuts and got to cuttin’ Then turned my att...
A few months ago I made a simple mallet out of an oak cut off and a 1” dowel. It has done a good job but has always been a bit on the light side and has started splitting on the top from trying to use it to chop some mortises. Well, last night it finally just gave up. One face is still usable but I think it’s time for it to retire.. I have been planning an upgrade ever since I finished the first one but never really had the motivation to put some other projects on hold...
It has been a bit of a bother to find time for woodworking. I found some today and managed to put in a few hours. Today was about fitting the sides of the lamps to the side edges. Although I got all the I made progress on both lamps but I only got one assembled up to this point. I am going very slow on this so I can enjoy what I’m making. For starters, I added one coat of tung oil before starting the glue up. The glue joints don’t have any tung oil on them so thery are good...
I have been building some lamps for the Living room. I discovered an issue. My small miter saw used to be as accurate as anything else I could manage. I didn’t realize that the fence had warped until I started assembling. My 45 angles wer more like 45.75. It threw a wrench in things and gave me a little firewood but I recovered most of the cuts. I’m ready to move on. I was able to straigten the fence on the small saw but now I’m marking my cuts and disregardng the presets...
Hello again friends. Ok I know this bench build has been a little anticlimactic because you have seen the bench put together a million times. But this should be my final post on this bench build… maybe… I got the finish applied, added leather to the vices, and put a hand wheel on the wagon vise. After testing out the finish on scraps I decided to go with 1-1-1 (MS, Poly, BLO) on most of the bench. I sanded it into the top with 220 grit sandpaper to fill the pores some. J...
Welcome back folks. Progress has been slow but steady. I’m in the home stretch now. I need to finish up this leg vise, then the lower shelf and I’ll be ready for final assembly. A while back BrandonW gave me a Jatoba board. Its the same stuff I’m using on my deadman. Its beautiful dense wood and I’ve been milking every last scrap of it. I used the below scrap as my garter even though it is the checked end of the board. I ended up having to use a lot of superglue ...
Today was one of those mornings that I couldn’t wait to get going. I got up a little earlier than usual, and went back to bed, thinking that I would get ‘one more sleep.’ But lying there and thinking about what I was going to do today was too much for me and I just had to get up and get started. I had a good day yesterday, and got lots of odds and ends done in addition to getting my little sleds finished up. Once again, I used the photo box that Keith made and had some re...
- My Journey As A Scroll Saw Pattern Designer - 1261 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 94 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 87 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Just for Fun... - 82 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 73 parts
- The Craftsman's Path - 67 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1283 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 388 entries
- dbhost - 367 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 311 entries
- Karson - 301 entries
- Martin Sojka - 297 entries
- William - 255 entries
- Betsy - 221 entries
- mafe - 216 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 187 entries
- Chris Davis - 183 entries
- Rustic - 183 entries
- shipwright - 168 entries
- PurpLev - 163 entries
- BritBoxmaker - 159 entries
- stefang - 148 entries