New saw cuts SO very smooth – glue-up quality! I’m very pleased! Gluing the second “handle” to the end. Handles are clamped and waiting for glue to dry. Bottom still has screws in place and will come out tomorrow some time when the glue has dried more. Starting to look really nice! I love this design – traditional Japanese carpenter tool box. Uh oh! I am such a nongerhead! The handle on one end was sticking up just a tad so I went to shave it down a b...
I actually resorted to using my new HF power planer to get the edges of these two boards flat and smooth enough to glue up. But I am most interested in making and constructing right now. I actually love all those dark knots against the lighter colored white pine boards! I did find a relatively good crosscut saw at local GW this evening. Only 8$ (within my price range!) A juxtaposition of saws: I got this saw today while on lunch. I used it tonight to trim the edges of the bottom...
Got all the joints dabbed up with glue and the clamps on. After it dries and I take the clamps off, I will examine the joints and see if any need to be filled with a little bit of epoxy I guess. One corner has some pretty big gaps all the way around it looks like. I am pleased that the box came out relatively square (only 1/8” out of square). Some people might say that is a lot, but I didn’t do anything to try and keep it square, it just came out th...
At this point I am cutting the mortises from both sides with hammer & chisel – not using the 3/4” forstner bit. This is the first one. Two done, six to go. Pictures: One thing I discovered during this experiment: the mortises on the first board that I cut using the 3/4” forstner bit were a tighter fit for some reason. The second board mortises were all done with hammer & chisel and came out a bit oversized ...
I actually broke down and sharpened the blade on one of my crappy (not the crappiest, next one up) little block planes. Made some shavings. Not exactly the right tool for the job and the blade wasn’t dull anymore, just not as sharp as it needed to be. Resorted to a bit of hand sanding with a block and some 120 grit. Inching my way toward ‘real’ woodworking! I am going to do some square mortise/tenon joints for the ends of the box. This time, I am doing it “rightR...
Cheap tools (except for the Starrett combination square – left over from my metal fabrication days) are getting the job done for now. My saw cuts are getting better. Fairly square – they need to be since I haven’t dug out my jack plane and my block plane needs sharpening, and I don’t have a solid place to hold anything down yet. I’m using my Swiss Army knife to mark my cut-lines and putting a shallow kerf line on three (or sometimes four) sides befo...
Here is the remainder of the yellow pine that I need for my workbench. I had decided to give this thing legs and a skirt (hmm, sounds bad I know – hey maybe it’s a Scottish bench? LOL). The 2 X 12 was for the skirts on the front and the back, and the 2 X 8’s were for leg stretchers. I had 6 pieces of center ripped 2 X 10’s left over from making the top that I could use to make the legs. Still deciding whether to make a regular workbench or stay with my original plan of...
I ended up gluing inside my apartment where it was warmer. Ice and snowoutside. It is wide enough now that it won’t fit inside the glue box anyway. All 12 boards glued up. I think that I will add 2 more to make it 21” wide. Finally got a decent picture of all 14 boards glued up. Now to find help carrying it down to the garage when the weather turns nicer. It weighs over a hundred pounds. Not bad.
Here is what I did yesterday: made a long box to keep the wood and glue warm while curing. Everything I needed was laying close at hand – literally! I had four old closet doors that I used as shelves a long time ago that were standing in the corner. I had used a couple of them as a flat work place to start gluing up the boards for my slab. I found 8 little metal angle braces with screws that I had bought a while back and never used. It is 78” long (my 72” boards fit j...
Southern Yellow Pine Work Surface (workbench) #3: Glueing up pairs of boards and then glueing up quads
This is the first two boards glued together the night before this picture. I have taken the bolts out and everything looks solid. Time will tell. This first one was probably the worst for glue coverage as I was in a hurry – it has been too long since I glued boards together. I keep thinking that if I didn’t hurry, the glue would set up and I’d have to do everything over again. But I think it will still be OK. I used plenty of glue on both sides and the only part I’...
- My Journey As A Creative Designer - Woodworking and Beyond - 1742 parts
- Extremely Average - 324 parts
- Workshop Development - 107 parts
- A journey into the workshop. - 106 parts
- Just for Fun... - 97 parts
- Daily Update - 87 parts
- Life as an Amateur Woodworker - 79 parts
- "Hobbit Holes in MyWorld" --by RusticWoodArt - 77 parts
- As The Lathe Turns - 76 parts
- WoodWriting Haiku Thursday's --by RusticWoodArt - 74 parts
- Sheila Landry (scrollgirl) - 1767 entries
- dbhost - 419 entries
- frank - 417 entries
- degoose - 397 entries
- Ecocandle - 325 entries
- MsDebbieP - 314 entries
- Karson - 305 entries
- mafe - 304 entries
- Martin Sojka - 296 entries
- William - 258 entries
- shipwright - 246 entries
- Betsy - 228 entries
- stefang - 220 entries
- robscastle - 218 entries
- Dave Rutan - 214 entries
- Stevinmarin - 212 entries
- Todd A. Clippinger - 207 entries
- Gary Fixler - 204 entries
- Smitty_Cabinetshop - 194 entries
- A Slice of Wood Workshop - 190 entries